The Secret Life of Melanie O.
 
Friday, September 23, 2005
Gender Wars
I had a discussion today with some of my friends about who are the bigger gossips: men or women?

I think that women have just gotten a bad rep over the years from years of being bored housewives. However, nowadays, gender equality has given men the "go ahead" to be gossips, too. There's no worse gossip than a truck driver, let me tell you. When my husband and his buddies are in the yard, waiting to get unloaded, what do you think they talk about? Not sports. Not television. They talk about food, and they gossip.

Let's remember, ages ago, the biggest gossip was the Town Crier, who was authorized to go from door to door, spreading the news, which was, mainly gossip. He rang his bell calling "Hear Ye, Hear Ye," which I suppose was the earliest form of wireless communication.

Men don't like to admit that they're worse gossips than women. Women might titter a little or "cluck" a tongue in sympathy with someone who's has just screwed up, but, as one friend put it, "I think women gossip more (let's face it, we're better at communication). But I think men take gossip to a malicious level that even the cattiest woman couldn't aspire to."

My husband will never admit it, but he loves gossip. One of the first things he says to me at the end of the day is: "Did you hear about .....?" But he'll never admit that he's addicted to it.

Men don't buy gossip rags because they know their wives or girlfriends will buy them, and then they read them in the privacy of their own home. It's just not "manly" to buy a woman's mag. At least, this is what my husband does when we're out grocery shopping:

Him: "Don't you want to buy a [insert name of celebrity rag here]?"
Me (thinking): Not really. (saying): "Oh, sure, why not. They're entertaining enough."
Him: (thumbs through magazine while we wait in the checkout line)

Later at home, magazine is now in stack of magazines next to the john, which he reads at his er... leisure.



posted by Melanie O. at 3:30 PM -
1 Comments:
  • At 10:49 AM, Blogger gardenbug said…

    Your son, Stephen, is the biggest gossip I have ever met. Whatever goes in the ears, comes out the mouth. Oh, I know where He got his genetic trait for gossip...from his greatgrandmother Seyse. I wince sometimes to hear Stephen say things I know the person He is talking about would not want me to know. I know about CP's military record. I know about AM's family's financial difficulty. I know whose furnace and air conditioning went out at the same time. Yup. Men are gossips. gardenbug

     
Post a Comment



About Me
Name: Melanie O.
Home: Durham, North Carolina, United States
About Me: Female, American health and beauty-conscious professional who has rekindled a childhood love of dolls.
See my profile...

Another Retro Housewife
Wannabe
Brought to you by
Previous Posts
Archives
If you read this blog,
you're not alone!
Sydney Weather
    The WeatherPixie
Favorite Links

You are visitor number