The Secret Life of Melanie O.
 
Monday, October 09, 2006
Doing the Time Warp

I celebrated another birthday last week. I don't look or feel older, but somehow it feels wrong that I'm stuck in a time warp. Maybe that's why humans resist tapping into their anti-aging genes. We all have them - but almost none of us taps into them. It feels "unnatural" to resist time. Or maybe it's just the recent change of timezones that's doing my head in.

I was jet-lagged and ill after our trip. Not enough sleep will do that to you. We were just getting used to a new time zone, when we had to fly back. My body wasn't sure if it should be awake or asleep. I stayed awake just so I could do something productive at work, but my body was screaming for sleep.

Dan had planned on taking me somewhere nice for my birthday dinner. As it turned out, it was one of the first places we'd ever gone on a date - Centrepoint Tower. It would have been lovely, sitting in the revolving restaurant, looking out over the city lights while we dined on kangaroo meat. But, even after sleeping for 10 hours a night for two nights in a row, I just couldn't muster the energy or enthusiam for getting dressed up and going out for a night on the town.

I asked Dan if he wouldn't mind cancelling dinner. Instead, we sat at home and dined on fish and chips from our local fish shop, and it was delicious. So much for this year's birthday.

This weekend, with more energy, I started decorating for Halloween, using the treasures I picked up in New York, as well as ones I had brought with me from North Carolina. The house was transformed. I love Halloween - it's an autumn ritual I refuse to leave behind. I'm going to take all of the energy that I didn't have for my birthday, and put it into Halloween.

Norm, the glowing skeleton, is now hanging from our livingroom overhead light, ceramic jack-o-lanters light up several rooms, and I tested out our haunted house sound effects CD. There are witches sitting on the bookcases and two haunted houses on display. A rubber snake peeks out from our DVD collection and a rubber bat hangs from a picture frame. There are decals and window clings on the glass surfaces. The night of our party, I'll string fake cobwebs and spiders. I'm ready for Halloween, even if I wasn't really ready for my birthday. I wonder how many of my friends, who will receive an invitation to Halloween Scary Movie Night, are ready for me and my Addams Family house.

I'm getting excited about doing Halloween in Sydney, since it's only just recently caught on. But how will I feel after we move the clocks ahead that night - for Spring?
posted by Melanie O. at 8:35 AM -
1 Comments:
  • At 7:10 AM, Blogger gardenbug said…

    Happy Halloween. Let me know when your boxes arrive. I hope you get your halloween things in time.

     
Post a Comment



About Me
Name: Melanie O.
Home: Durham, North Carolina, United States
About Me: Female, American health and beauty-conscious professional who has rekindled a childhood love of dolls.
See my profile...

Another Retro Housewife
Wannabe
Brought to you by
Previous Posts
Archives
If you read this blog,
you're not alone!
Sydney Weather
    The WeatherPixie
Favorite Links

You are visitor number