The Secret Life of Melanie O.
 
Friday, April 07, 2006
Memories of me - part I
It's my mother's fault that I love to model lingerie and vintage clothes. Really. (Besides, it's always convenient to blame things on your mother.)

When I was four or five years old, my mother was studying for her teacher's certificate. She was an art education grad student (and a darned good one, too, I might add.) One of the things she had to do was to teach a drawing class using live models. My mother used the two most handy models that she had available: her two daughters.

So, off we went to her university with several changes of clothes, to be the object of the drawing class. My mother set up two stools for my sister and I to sit on, and a changing screen. She had prepared well for this class and acted in the most professional manner. Soon, one by one, her undergrad students came in and sat themselves down in front of their easels.

My sister and I were posed on a little raised platform in front of the class, and that's when the mayhem broke loose. My sister and I, excited to see so many grownups (well, to us, these 19 and 20 year olds were grown ups) got a fit of the giggles, and our adrenalin kicked into high gear. We became, in fact, the Child Models from Hell.

Nyaaah!I recall especially, one young man who sat near the front of the class, who was especially cute, with light brown curly hair. He thought my sister and I were amusing, so that just egged us on even more. I don't think we sat still for more than two minutes, and my poor mother, frustrated, had to chase us around the room and pull us back to sit on the stools. She gave us one or two stern lectures, but we were too full of ourselves and took off again, running around the room. I remember stopping to see a couple of sketches of myself dressed in a pair of shorts. So, was this how people saw me? A little girl with curly hair?

After a while, I became shy about changing clothes in front of a classroom of people (especially with the cute guy in the front seat) and protested that they could see my underwear. My mother kept reassuring me that no one could see my underwear behind the screen, and to change outfits for the next "sitting." I use the term "sitting" lightly, because I don't think we sat any longer than 30 seconds at any given time.

I finally decided I needed to impress the cute guy in the front seat (at the age of five) and behaved like a grownup for maybe three minutes. My poor mother was at her wits' end. It was probably the longest art class she ever had to supervise.

I don't think she was ever as glad for a class to end as she was for that one. Finally, we packed up our clothes and headed home. I think my mother was completely embarrassed. Ironically, I now model underwear. I think there's definitely a connection. Maybe I'm trying to impress that cute curly haired guy in the front seat.
posted by Melanie O. at 8:55 PM -
4 Comments:
  • At 6:20 AM, Blogger chimera said…

    can't wait to see Gardenbug's comment on this post :-)

     
  • At 2:06 AM, Blogger Jo said…

    cute post!

     
  • At 7:53 AM, Blogger Melanie O. said…

    chimera, LOL! I need to email her to let her know that it's up. :-)

     
  • At 1:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Melanie,

    Cute story. I'll be the curly headed guy up front any day. i should sketch again actually. It's good for calming the right side of my brain. Your new photos are great by the way. You seem to have an endless supply of retro backgrounds!

    Wish my blog were as entertaining!

    Don

     
Post a Comment



About Me
Name: Melanie O.
Home: Durham, North Carolina, United States
About Me: Female, American health and beauty-conscious professional who has rekindled a childhood love of dolls.
See my profile...

Another Retro Housewife
Wannabe
Brought to you by
Previous Posts
Archives
If you read this blog,
you're not alone!
Sydney Weather
    The WeatherPixie
Favorite Links

You are visitor number