The Secret Life of Melanie O.
 
Monday, October 16, 2006
Dan gets his - part 1

A few weeks have gone by since we've returned from New York, and in the back of my mind, I'm feeling restless and dissatisfied that Dan never found his orange sneakers. Not one to give up easily, I find myself cruising around the Sydney CBD and doing a bit of window shopping.

And then, one day, during a lunch break that consists of a swiss cheese soft pretzel and nothing else, I see them. Orange sneakers. Orange as orange Jello or an orange Popsicle. I quickly stuff my half-eaten pretzel into my handbag and enter the store. The odor of swiss cheese and dough permeates the little shop.

I quickly grab the saleswoman. "Do you have these in a men's size 11," I breathlessly ask? She walks over to her computer and checks. She does! I grab my mobile phone and call Dan.

"Hey Darlin', I'm on my lunch break, and guess what I'm looking at?"

He doesn't guess, so I tell him and describe them as best as I can. "They don't have blue stripes on them like the ones in New York. They're white stripes, but the style is just the same." I can hear Dan's breathing quicken.

"Can we color the stripes blue?" he asks. You could hear the fountain of hope bubble over.

"Are you crazy? That will look like crap," I say. The bubble gets deflated.

Then we debate for ten minutes on what size he wears. He isn't sure if he should get 11's or 12's, as a lot depends on how narrow the shoe is. The saleswoman can't promise the shoes will still be there that weekend, which will be the first time Dan can actually come to town to try them on. Should I buy them? Or should we take the chance, and wait?

Finally, the pervasive odor of swiss cheese soft pretzel (which smells remarkably like flatulence), encourages me to make my exit. I badger the saleswoman for a good five or ten minutes while Dan and I debate on how big (or not) his feet are.

We decide to take a chance and come into the city that weekend to find out just how big his feet are, and if there are shoes in stock that will fit him.

(to be continued...)
posted by Melanie O. at 6:38 PM -
2 Comments:
  • At 11:31 PM, Blogger gardenbug said…

    Buy both pairs..and return the wrong pair after Dan tries them on. by the way, you can color the white stripe. Just use acrylic paint. it flexes as the shoe flexes. love u

     
  • At 11:07 AM, Blogger Mabs said…

    Best of luck with the shoes - I hope he gets them!!

     
Post a Comment



About Me
Name: Melanie O.
Home: Durham, North Carolina, United States
About Me: Female, American health and beauty-conscious professional who has rekindled a childhood love of dolls.
See my profile...

Another Retro Housewife
Wannabe
Brought to you by
Previous Posts
Archives
If you read this blog,
you're not alone!
Sydney Weather
    The WeatherPixie
Favorite Links

You are visitor number