The Secret Life of Melanie O.
 
Monday, February 20, 2006
Something punny
My husband Dan is a pretty emotional kind of guy - a double edged sword. When he’s “up,” he’s fun to be with and he’s full of passion. He’s loving and enthusiastic when he’s feeling positive. I love it when he’s in this mood, because he brings me up, as well.

When he’s down, he’s sullen, quiet, and snappy. Usually, he’s upset over our tenants and property manager. Dan’s not cut out to be a landlord. He stresses when the rent is late. He stresses if we have to make repairs. When he stresses, I stress.

Yesterday, we were grocery shopping, and Dan was in a good mood. We had just returned from lunch with friends who had flown up to Sydney for a concert the night before. It was good to catch up, and we were both feeling in good spirits, although we had a debate over lunch as to what the most popular sport in the world was. (He said netball – played by school-aged kids all over the world, except in the USA. I said soccer. I looked it up on the Internet, and apparently, it’s volleyball. I digress, however.)

So, we’re in the grocery store, in the checkout line, when Dan tells a punny joke. Dan is the master at word jokes and sometimes they’re funny. Sometimes they’re not. This time, it must not have not been as funny as they usually are, because I just gave a bit of a distracted chuckle.

Dan was a bit insulted. “You never laugh at my jokes,” he complained.

Without missing a beat, I protested: “That’s not true. I always laugh at you.”

He laughed. We both laughed. It’s a good thing we understand each other.
posted by Melanie O. at 4:29 PM -
3 Comments:
  • At 4:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Melanie,

    The word games I used to do when I was married was start a song rhyming words into a song with whatever someone said to me. My ex said I would be very entertaining to the nursing home staff when it's my turn. I think she appreciated it though.

     
  • At 3:19 PM, Blogger Mabs said…

    No one said volleyball!

     
  • At 2:53 PM, Blogger Melanie O. said…

    mabs, LOL! None of us got it right, it seems.

     
Post a Comment



About Me
Name: Melanie O.
Home: Durham, North Carolina, United States
About Me: Female, American health and beauty-conscious professional who has rekindled a childhood love of dolls.
See my profile...

Another Retro Housewife
Wannabe
Brought to you by
Previous Posts
Archives
If you read this blog,
you're not alone!
Sydney Weather
    The WeatherPixie
Favorite Links

You are visitor number