The Secret Life of Melanie O.
 
Wednesday, February 01, 2006
My In-laws' 50th
My in-laws celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary this past weekend, and Dan and I went to their home, where they decided to have a dinner and invite their closest personal friends. The night was filled with lots of laughter and memories. They had the wedding photo album out and I had a chance to look through a window that let me see things as they were 50 years ago. Everything, from the bride's dress to the bridesmaid's gowns were sewn by my mother in law. They were made out of materials you can't even get any more: taffeta and flocked nylons. All the women had short, permed hair (but not poodley like it was back in the '80's). It was perfectly shaped and chic.

As the evening progressed, we all loosened up a little, and it was my husband's turn to make a toast to his parents. He left no room for doubt that the reason he annoys them so much, is because he loves them. If this is the case, no doubt my husband loves me very much, too. In fact, when he's quiet and stops being talkative and annoying, I know that something is bothering him, and I worry.

Don't get me wrong, I love my husband to bits, but he is like a kid when it comes to annoying me. He always wants to grope me when I'm folding laundry and putting it away. I only do my laundry once a week. Why he chooses that time to decide to grope me, I don't know. I spend a few hours every evening, just relaxing and not doing much of anything, but he doesn't grope me then. He watches DVDs. He also decides to grope me when I'm a) washing dishes b) vacuuming c) getting ready to get in the bath (OK, this one's a bit understandable) , d) grocery shopping, or e) getting the cat's worming tablets.

I think that men learn this behavior early in life. My sons always decided to act up and annoy me when I was on the telephone and couldn't just drop what I was doing to yell at them. And then they drove off to see their girlfriends and annoy them, too. It's worrying that they don't ever outgrow this sort of thing.

I am amazed that anyone stays together for 50 years, nowadays, what with easy divorce, delayed marriage, and so many other options. I can picture my husband and I being together maybe 40 years from now (if we live that long,) but I have warned him: if he dies first, I am going to become a Merry Widow and use young 65 year old men for fun. He doesn't seem too upset by this declaration. In fact, I kind of think he expects it.

How annoying.




posted by Melanie O. at 7:59 PM -



About Me
Name: Melanie O.
Home: Durham, North Carolina, United States
About Me: Female, American health and beauty-conscious professional who has rekindled a childhood love of dolls.
See my profile...

Another Retro Housewife
Wannabe
Brought to you by
Previous Posts
Archives
If you read this blog,
you're not alone!
Sydney Weather
    The WeatherPixie
Favorite Links

You are visitor number