The Secret Life of Melanie O.
 
Wednesday, May 17, 2006
Help! My shoes are out of control!
Little pile of bliss When I was a kid, I had maybe three pairs of shoes: a good, dress-up pair (usually a shiny patent leather Maryjane style), a pair of sneakers, and a pair of sturdy every day shoes for school. I also had a pair of warm boots for winter, but those didn't really count since you couldn't wear them indoors. They were the heavy, rubber kind with a furry lining for cold, Northern snowy winters. In summer, I wore a pair of rubber flip-flops, as we called them. They lasted the one season, but that was all we needed them for. You outgrew them by the next summer.

I was flabbergasted when I realised, one day, that my mother had twelve pairs of shoes in her closet. Twelve! What did someone need with that many shoes?

And then I grew up and the female hormone that governs shoe appreciation kicked in. It started slowly.... my shoe count went up from three pairs to five pairs. I had a pair of brown pumps and a pair of black pumps, as well as a pair of sandals for summer, a pair of sneakers, and grown-up boots with heels that could be worn indoors. They were almost useless against the snow, however. But they were kind of sexy and reminded me of the Sixties and of being Mod when I was too young to be Mod.

As I got older and started to earn better money, I could buy myself nicer clothes. Nicer clothes meant that I had to have nicer shoes. My outfits were nicely matched. So, of course, the earth-tone outfits needed earth tone shoes - a pair with high heels, a pair with low heels, a summer pair, and a winter pair - depending on the season and how I dressed up the outfit. Of course, I had to have the obligatory black work shoes, but I have a pair with high heels, a pair with low heels and pointy toes, and a pair with work heels and a rounded toe (and a buckle.)

Then I discovered eBay. And the fact that I could get last year's Jil Sander for Prada shoes at wholesale. So, I got a gray pair with heels, and a brown every-day low heeled shoe. I also got a lovely black kitten heeled pair from Banana Republic. Then I changed jobs and there was a little Asian import place just down the street that sold the most adorable jeweled slippers, perfect for summery outfits. I bought a pink pair and a grey pair. Then the local shoe shop decided to go out of business and they had nice leather shoes on sale. I bought three pairs for $80.

Of course, you still get winter in Sydney, so I have to have boots (not because of any snow, mind you,) but now I have a black pair, a grey pair, and a brown pair, to match my outfits. They are all tall legged boots. Then I've got a pair of black "granny" style button boots to wear with slacks.

For summer, I have a pair of bone leather slides, and three pairs of gold sandals, one with a clear lucite heel and strap. I hardly wear the sandals with the lucite heel because they are slightly too big for me and fall off my feet. I don't care. I like the way they look. I also have silver, turquoise, and black heeled sandals to cover any contingency for the summer wardrobe.

And then there were the lizard skin stilletos I ordered from eBay that are also too big. I got creative and built my own heel inserts so they wouldn't fall off my feet. I have since learned that you can take them to any cobbler, who can put nice inserts in them. I will have to do that.

I've been really good about not buying any shoes lately. And I've thrown away a couple of pairs of Mama's Got a Brand New Bagshoes that I have actually worn out. It was like tearing my arm off to have to part company. The other day, for the heck of it, I counted my shoes. I have over twenty-five pairs of shoes. One of them is a pair of Maryjanes. I don't own a single pair of sneakers.

I have been so good about not buying any new shoes lately, that I now have a new vice: Designer hand bags.
posted by Melanie O. at 8:28 PM -
6 Comments:
  • At 6:19 AM, Blogger gardenbug said…

    I now have 36 pairs of shoes...won't allow myself to buy another pair unless I throw out a pair. They have to all fit into my shoe organizer. Three pairs are sneakers. One is a pair of rubber garden clogs. Love you

     
  • At 8:25 AM, Blogger Melanie O. said…

    Now I know where that gene comes from. :-)

     
  • At 11:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You are a far cry from Ismelda Marcos! However I know where you can buy one of a kind handbags.

    I'll send you a link!

     
  • At 7:46 PM, Blogger Melanie O. said…

    Hi Don. Sounds great! (But dangerous to my wallet.) ;-)

     
  • At 1:58 AM, Blogger Kanani said…

    At one point I had 80 pairs of shoes.
    Then one day, I went through my closet and started to get rid of things.
    It felt really good. Shoes, bags, clothes, belts!
    I guess I was at that point where I just wanted to pare down on my things.
    Surprisingly, I don't miss it. I guess I've moved onto other things, but four years ago, I wouldn't have ever predicted them would take place within me!

     
  • At 2:02 AM, Blogger Kanani said…

    P.S.

    I LOVE gardenbug's blog.
    Bravo!

     
Post a Comment



About Me
Name: Melanie O.
Home: Durham, North Carolina, United States
About Me: Female, American health and beauty-conscious professional who has rekindled a childhood love of dolls.
See my profile...

Another Retro Housewife
Wannabe
Brought to you by
Previous Posts
Archives
If you read this blog,
you're not alone!
Sydney Weather
    The WeatherPixie
Favorite Links

You are visitor number