The Secret Life of Melanie O.
 
Saturday, May 27, 2006
Job hunting, part deux
They say that when one part of your life starts to go smoothly, another part will fall down. I saw this in action constantly when I was raising kids. There was never a time that I could fully relax as a parent, because if one son wasn't getting into some kind of trouble, another one was. Even now, with my sons all grown and the youngest getting married, I see this as one of life's truths.

Now that I'm managing the online operations where I work and my career seems to be back on track after four years of adjusting to life in Australia, Dan's job is in jeopardy. The people who own his company are looking at the truck that they've assigned to Dan as a way to quickly pay off some debts. Never mind that Dan will need to find other employment. That's the way things go in the cold world of business. I'm beginning to see the value in Shakespeare's statement "neither a borrower nor a lender be." Having the rug pulled out from under you is not a good way to maintain relationships.

To be fair to the company, they have offered the sale of the truck to Dan first, but if they can't find enough work to make it lucrative for them, what makes them think we would do better? So, Dan now has to look for other employment opportunities, and it gets harder because he is making such good money now. How will he be able to find a job that pays as well?

There's no train man like an old train manWe're thinking that this may turn out to be a blessing in disguise, however. Since I've known him, Dan has spoken of nothing but his love of trains. He's been consistent in his interest, and can tell you about every diesel electric locomotive he's ever driven. He's Leonard Crabbe, without the bladder management business.

So, Dan's called his old buddies from his Days on the Railroad. These three guys now have an interest in a rail freight business and Dan might be able to get recertified as a train driver and be guaranteed employment with them. So, now I am wondering what it will be like living with a man who is living out his passion. What will his new passion become? I'm guessing with all of the shift work he will be doing, which includes nights and weekends, Dan's new passion will be sleep. Any time. Anywhere he can get it. Sleep.

And the baton will be passed to me. My challenge will be to develop a new passion. Something that will keep me occupied during the many hours he will be away from home. Maybe I'll start working on model trains.


You know what they say: "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em."
posted by Melanie O. at 12:17 PM -
3 Comments:
  • At 8:16 AM, Blogger Julia said…

    Oh hon I'm really sorry to hear this. I know how much Dan loves his job so my thoughts are with you (and please pass this on to Dan as well). You are both such wonderful people I am certain something better will come your way, even if it doesn't feel like it now. Don't give up hope, you have such a great spirit.

     
  • At 9:40 AM, Blogger gardenbug said…

    When crisis and change happens, it usually is a blessing in disguise. If Dan has to make a career move, it should be now, rather than later. The good news is that Dan really loves trains. The really really good news, according to your blog, is He will be guaranteed employment with his buddies. He can't lose on this one....so much change, so much to get used to ...but each change has been for the better. Providence is taking care of the two of you.

     
  • At 3:19 PM, Blogger Melanie O. said…

    Hi Julia and gardenbug - thanks so much for the positive thoughts. I'm sure we'll weather this. It's just a little disconcerting at the moment. No doubt it'll get better. xoxo

     
Post a Comment



About Me
Name: Melanie O.
Home: Durham, North Carolina, United States
About Me: Female, American health and beauty-conscious professional who has rekindled a childhood love of dolls.
See my profile...

Another Retro Housewife
Wannabe
Brought to you by
Previous Posts
Archives
If you read this blog,
you're not alone!
Sydney Weather
    The WeatherPixie
Favorite Links

You are visitor number