The Secret Life of Melanie O.
 
Wednesday, March 14, 2007
Music memories
I remember the first time I ever realised that music was fun and somehow "cool," as it reflected the times I was living in (the late 60's.) Everyone had a transistor radio for the beach, and I had one that I listened to in my bedroom. Of course, this was long before kids had TVs and video games to amuse themselves with in their rooms. The radio was my world, and Top 40 tunes of the day filled my head and still have a profound influence on me, years later.

I had a little white transistor radio, and almost all music was broadcast on the AM band, which meant no stereo. The music was a little tinny, but no one cared, since no one knew anything else. From that tiny little speaker came the sounds of Davy Jones singing "Daydream Believer," or Paul Revere and the Raiders singing "Cherokee People," or the Cowsills singing "The Rain, the Park and Other Things." The first female artists I remember were Petula Clark and Dusty Springfield. I used to borrow Petula Clark albums from the local library. I think she and Dusty are responsible for inspiring my current hairstyle.

I don't know what triggered these memories, but one day, "The Rain, the Park and Other Things" popped into my head. I don't think I've heard that song since 1968. Where I grew up, our neighbours had a copy of the LP and showed it to me. I remember thinking that some of the guys were cute. That was the great thing about LPs - plenty of room for large pictures on the cover, and fan materials that often accompanied the recordings, inside.

So, I went back and rediscovered the Cowsills as if I'd been a teen back in the '60's. I was sad to learn that two of the sons had passed away and the mother died back in '82. Suddenly, I'm feeling really old. I am happy to hear that four of the remaining siblings are still singing together, though. I bet Tiger Beat would have never predicted that!

I'm obviously entering my second childhood - and the music is wonderful.
posted by Melanie O. at 6:59 PM -
0 Comments:
Post a Comment



About Me
Name: Melanie O.
Home: Durham, North Carolina, United States
About Me: Female, American health and beauty-conscious professional who has rekindled a childhood love of dolls.
See my profile...

Another Retro Housewife
Wannabe
Brought to you by
Previous Posts
Archives
If you read this blog,
you're not alone!
Sydney Weather
    The WeatherPixie
Favorite Links

You are visitor number