The Secret Life of Melanie O.
 
Sunday, April 29, 2007
The man who could not sit still
I've always been a bit hyperactive (just ask my mother who could never get my sister nor me to sit still for longer than five minutes.) We terrorised several babysitters. One poor fellow watched us one night while my parents went out to dinner and a movie, and refused to come back - ever.

I've always known that I would need someone who could match my activity level. For most of my life, I've left them in the dust. It wasn't until I was 40 that I finally met my match in Dan.

It's Sunday afternoon, the perfect time to grab a nap before the hectic pace of the work week arrives. I figured I'd take a snooze, and Dan could get some work done outside while there was still daylight. He had been discussing mowing the lawn all day. I thought - 'great. I'll have a quick snooze while you mow the lawn.'

It was a short-lived dream. I barely drifted off when I heard something that sounded like marbles rolling around on the floor. Was someone up in the roof?

Then I heard;
"Dammit, whoever did the wiring in this house should be shot!"
"I can't see a bloody thing in this light!"
"I can't believe whoever wired this house didn't leave enough slack in the wires!"
And so forth...

Dan decided the moment I went to lie down, to do some electrical work in the house. You never saw anyone with such a single focus: swap the electrical switches so that we can install the TV antenna, which is sitting on the roof, not attached to our television, which means, in the country, we can't watch television. We spend a fortune on DVDs. And then he had to hook up the stereo and investigate the proper connections for the DVD and VCR.

Not being able to sleep through the rolling marble sound and the occasional muttering, I got out of bed and asked Dan what he was doing. Tools and parts were strewn all over the loungeroom floor. "I thought you were going out to mow the lawn?" I asked.

Dan's reply: "what, and make MORE noise?"

Yes, Dan, but it would be white noise... outside... not this jarring stuff.

Undaunted, Dan continued his battle with the outlets. I gave up on a nap. Finally, the power came back on just as the sun started to set. I figure it's too late in the day now for a quick snooze.

What better time for Dan. Now he's out mowing the lawn.
posted by Melanie O. at 4:24 PM -
4 Comments:
  • At 10:55 PM, Blogger gardenbug said…

    Ha Ha Ha Ha

     
  • At 12:55 AM, Blogger Kanani said…

    Ah.... but he's a sweetie. Really, I love that man.

     
  • At 7:58 AM, Blogger Melanie O. said…

    Yeah - I love that guy. He's the perfect match for me. (Thank goodness someone was!)

     
  • At 9:37 AM, Blogger Kanani said…

    Yup, I'd say you are very, very lucky. I still remember how he carried your bags at the airport.

     
Post a Comment



About Me
Name: Melanie O.
Home: Durham, North Carolina, United States
About Me: Female, American health and beauty-conscious professional who has rekindled a childhood love of dolls.
See my profile...

Another Retro Housewife
Wannabe
Brought to you by
Previous Posts
Archives
If you read this blog,
you're not alone!
Sydney Weather
    The WeatherPixie
Favorite Links

You are visitor number