The Secret Life of Melanie O.
 
Wednesday, January 02, 2008
2008 - Goin' Retro
It must be a sure sign of getting older when you start yearning for things from your childhood. What's scary is that I'm yearning for things from an era when I was just a twinkling in my father's eye. What seems to be happening here is that I'm turning into my grandmothers.

Grandmothers probably don't realise what an effect they have on granddaughters, but they do, by the mere fact that they exist, and, unlike our mothers, didn't have to raise us, so were able to be fun role models.

I grew up with both of my grandmothers around, for which I feel extremely fortunate. Not all of my friends were as lucky.

So, in my slow but steady transformation to my grandmothers' era, I have purchased this year:

Vintage dinnerware - auction finds. In my opinion, if Franciscan wants to perk up its dinnerware sales, it should revive such patterns as Starburst, Oasis, and Silver Pine.

A starburst clock. Yes, I bought one off eBay. It runs on batteries so I didn't have to worry about the whole 110/240 voltage conversion.

Previous purchases:

Composition dolls from the 1940's - more eBay acquisitions. They sit, like little silent sentries, on my bookshelves, a reminder of times gone by, and a give me a sense of continuity with the past.

Anthropomorphic kitchen items. Yes - I like the idea of my fruit and veggies having a bit of personality. I imagine they call to me, saying "eat me! I am good for you."

Heywood Wakefield bedroom furniture. An actual gift from one of my grandmothers. She got the set in an auction. I blame my grandmother for introducing me to auctions.

A Danish Modern veneer wardrobe. (Auction find)

No doubt there are more bits and pieces and treasures out there, just waiting to be discovered. I'm really looking forwards to 2008.

Happy Retro New Year!
posted by Melanie O. at 7:09 AM -
3 Comments:
  • At 11:41 PM, Blogger gardenbug said…

    Pam, at the retrorenovation web site left a comment on my blog. Those "spiders" on the internet are responsible? I think I will buy the St. Charles cabinets at the demolition site. Now, to get them into my house. I think I am stuck in 1950...but I love it there. I hope you enjoy your new dishes.

     
  • At 7:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi gardenbug - she would have just clicked on the link in your name and found your blog directly. It's great that she wants to help you. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it all works out.

     
  • At 2:29 PM, Blogger Anthony said…

    I don't think yearning for things from your childhood is necessarily a sign of getting older, but more mature. I am finding now, in my twenties, that I enjoy a good nostalgia kick by re-experiencing things I enjoyed 15 or 20 years ago when I was a kid. I look back at all the cartoons, TV shows, music videos, movies, commercials, toys, etc. and I either appreciate them more or get a good laugh at how ridiculous they were. I have a different perspective on things and understand things better. 20 years from now I will be looking at my twenties in the same way.

     
Post a Comment



About Me
Name: Melanie O.
Home: Durham, North Carolina, United States
About Me: Female, American health and beauty-conscious professional who has rekindled a childhood love of dolls.
See my profile...

Another Retro Housewife
Wannabe
Brought to you by
Previous Posts
Archives
If you read this blog,
you're not alone!
Sydney Weather
    The WeatherPixie
Favorite Links

You are visitor number