The Secret Life of Melanie O.
 
Sunday, September 14, 2008
Hair, the long and short of it
I was browsing through the celebrity news this morning (which is often what one does on a lazy Sunday morning,) and came across Victoria Beckham's new short pixie cut, which is great for women with small faces and frames. The consensus seems to be that she looks wonderful. As for me, I see too much maintenance. Trims every month or so - having to use a blow dryer every day. That's just not for me.

I had my hair cut in a bob a few years ago, and hated every moment of it. Not that bobs don't look fabulous - but unless your hair is pretty much dead straight, it takes a lot of work to get it to look nice, and one rain storm or humid day can ruin 45 minutes' work with the blow dryer and straightener. I have Albert Einstein's wild hair. It was a great look for him - not so good for me.

I wear my hair long now and find that it can look great and isn't a lot of work. I wear it "up" at night and brush it out in the morning. It doesn't need to be washed and blow-dried every day. It's great for someone like me who prefers a more carefree approach to mornings.

One issue I've always had with my hair, however, is that it's thick and wavy (even curly in some spots), and hairdressers just don't seem to be able to do cuts for wavy/curly hair. I've seen some pretty horrible shaggy cuts that flip out in the strangest directions. It doesn't help when your hair has an uneven curl to it and just does its own unflattering thing if left to its own devices. It's disheartening to walk past every hair salon in town and see posters of women with dead straight hair. Needless to say, I've been doing my own hair for years.

What is it with hair, though? We women with wavy hair either want it straighter or curlier (just be something - anything, please!) Women with straight hair want more body in it. Women with curly hair want straight hair. I think this is part of the human condition. The grass, or hair is always 'greener' on the other side of the fence.

posted by Melanie O. at 9:04 AM -
4 Comments:
  • At 6:41 PM, Blogger chimera said…

    That is so true - when it comes to hair we always want the opposite of what we have. Having said that, mine is very short, and while you're right about needing a trim every month or so, in between trims I just finger-comb after each shower. No blow drying, no brushing, no gel, nothing. Can't get more low-maintenance than that!

     
  • At 10:12 PM, Blogger Melanie O. said…

    Oh how I wish I could do that and look good! (See that picture of Albert Einstein.... ;)

     
  • At 8:33 PM, Blogger Cooks said…

    I love your current look Oz. The pic from your weekend trip is very pretty!
    I went from long and thick, to short and thick last year and still love it. It's spunkier in a way

     
  • At 8:36 PM, Blogger Melanie O. said…

    Hi Cookie - I just cut about 3 inches off my hair and have curled the ends (inspired by Marilyn Monroe's hair in The Misfits) and it looks fab. I'll have to post a photo soon.

    I love having thick hair... until it's summer.

     
Post a Comment



About Me
Name: Melanie O.
Home: Durham, North Carolina, United States
About Me: Female, American health and beauty-conscious professional who has rekindled a childhood love of dolls.
See my profile...

Another Retro Housewife
Wannabe
Brought to you by
Previous Posts
Archives
If you read this blog,
you're not alone!
Sydney Weather
    The WeatherPixie
Favorite Links

You are visitor number