The Secret Life of Melanie O.
 
Friday, August 01, 2008
The art of pizza
There have been two foods that I have loved my entire life: ice cream, and pizza. As I get older, however, I realise that I am drifting away from craving ice cream, to craving pizza. I think this goes along with the decline in the need for sweet food in my life (including chocolate. O the horror!) Whatever the reason, I'm thinking that pizza is the perfect food.

I am not sure why this is. Pizza is simple - a bread-like crust, tomato sauce, cheese, and toppings of your choice. There's variety available in the toppings, but I always seem to gravitate towards my favorite: pepperoni and onion. I know people who like ham and pineapple (fruit on a pizza is a travesty, in my opinion, unless it's a dessert pizza. I've had those, too,) meat lovers (cholesterol on a crust), veggie lovers, margherita, seafood, barbecued chicken - you name it. If it's edible, it probably can be a pizza topping.

Pizza is versatile. You can make "gourmet" style pizza with goat cheese and exotic ingredients, for formal affairs. You can cut it up into small pieces and serve it as an hors d'oeuvre. Pizza is just as at home with black ties and dresses, as it is with jeans and t-shirts. Pizza can be made at home as easily as it can be made by a pizzeria (just make sure you have a good hot oven and a ceramic pizza stone.)

Pizza can be eaten politely with a knife and fork, or folded or rolled up and eaten casually, with strings of mozzarella cheese dripping from the pizza slice to your mouth. It can be eaten hot or cold. In fact, pizza eaten cold makes a great breakfast.

I can't think of any other food that I can honestly say I don't get tired of having on a regular basis. Sunday is pizza night at our house. What's your favorite?
posted by Melanie O. at 4:51 PM -
8 Comments:
  • At 12:18 AM, Blogger Cooks said…

    LOVE! pizza, especially home made. We divide ours up in quarters and use different toppings for each. Salami, olives, bell peppers, mushrooms, ham, lots and lots of cheese, artichokes. DAMN! now I want some!!

     
  • At 5:15 PM, Blogger Melanie O. said…

    Yummm... that sounds so good! Is there such thing as a pizza addiction? Maybe I should join pizza addicts anonymous.

     
  • At 5:57 AM, Blogger gardenbug said…

    There was a cook on TV who made inside out pizza. It looked delicious. She bought brancacio bread. (a big round, flat loaf) (I think that was its name)..sliced it into two rounds...opened it up...filled it with pizza toppings...sauce, cheese, olive oil, pepperoni, etc. She put the top on and put it in a panini press. You can do the same thing by putting it in a fry pan or in the oven. Weight it down with a heavy brick that is wrapped in aluminum foil. the point is to press it down. She sliced it into snack size pieces. I think I can use my waffle maker to make this. It made me hungry for pizza.

     
  • At 1:23 AM, Blogger Cooks said…

    guess what we're having for dinner tonight....

     
  • At 8:13 PM, Blogger Melanie O. said…

    haha! Yes... but what are you having on it, Cookie?

     
  • At 7:28 PM, Blogger Cooks said…

    we had one with salami, peppers, chestnut mushrooms, cheese, basil,fresh tomatoes and the other with artichokes, anchovis, mushrooms, peppers, cheese and tomato. Very, very jummy!!

     
  • At 10:35 AM, Blogger Melanie O. said…

    O my goodness - those sound heavenly! When you come to Oz, we'll have to bake a few pizzas!

     
  • At 12:11 PM, Blogger Anthony said…

    I love vegetarian pizzas. You can put nearly any vegetable on a pizza and it will taste awesome: tomatoes, mushrooms, peppers, onions, zucchini, broccoli, eggplant, olives, spinach... the options are endless. Just add some fresh basil and oregano leaves and you have a great pizza!

     
Post a Comment



About Me
Name: Melanie O.
Home: Durham, North Carolina, United States
About Me: Female, American health and beauty-conscious professional who has rekindled a childhood love of dolls.
See my profile...

Another Retro Housewife
Wannabe
Brought to you by
Previous Posts
Archives
If you read this blog,
you're not alone!
Sydney Weather
    The WeatherPixie
Favorite Links

You are visitor number