The Secret Life of Melanie O.
 
Wednesday, May 21, 2008
It's the world's smallest violin and it's playing just for me
I don't know whether to laugh or cry. Dan's been asking me all week for extra cash because he doesn't have enough for new work boots or fuel for his car. Of course, I don't mind at all - these are necessities. And then I found out why he's so short on funds.

He decided he wanted to get me a belated Mother's Day gift. He bought me a violin. He knows I used to play as a kid and have talked about learning again. But Dan doesn't know a thing about violins. He went to eBay and bought me a child's 3/4 size violin - a cheap made in China job from which I can't get any sound.

When he realised how bad it was - I could see the disappointment well in his eyes. He meant to surprise me with something special - but this is badder than bad. I will be surprised if he can get his money back. The violin came without the bridge attached. He took it to our local music shop, who asked him if he bought it off the Internet. They wouldn't even look at it. So, we've glued the bridge on and are hoping for the best.

I suppose it may make a nice wall decoration at some point. And I know I shouldn't be irritated, but, in essence, I'm the one that paid for this waste of wood.

I take comfort that his heart was in the right place, though. At the end of the day, I appreciate the gesture. Not too many husbands go out and buy their wives violins.
posted by Melanie O. at 4:47 PM -
7 Comments:
  • At 10:16 PM, Blogger chimera said…

    The violin may be worthless, but Dan's thoughtfulness is priceless ! What a sweet man.

     
  • At 3:44 PM, Blogger Ann said…

    Awwww that's sweet. Annoying, but sweet.

     
  • At 8:20 PM, Blogger Melanie O. said…

    hee hee! Yes - totally. :)

     
  • At 6:08 AM, Blogger Karen said…

    Very adorable.
    It's unfortunate that it seems a waste of money as you can't even play it, but the thought was precious!

     
  • At 10:44 AM, Blogger David said…

    Typical husband thing: means well or was "trying to help", but screws it up :-)

     
  • At 9:10 PM, Blogger Melanie O. said…

    David - that's too funny! Dan says that all the time.

     
  • At 10:54 PM, Blogger Anthony said…

    That's nice that Dan thought of you that way. It was a very sweet gesture. I think you should take up the violin again. Music is essential. But expect to pay at least $300 for a decent one. Is there a music store you can visit "just to look?" Bring Dan with you. It will be fun.

     
Post a Comment



About Me
Name: Melanie O.
Home: Durham, North Carolina, United States
About Me: Female, American health and beauty-conscious professional who has rekindled a childhood love of dolls.
See my profile...

Another Retro Housewife
Wannabe
Brought to you by
Previous Posts
Archives
If you read this blog,
you're not alone!
Sydney Weather
    The WeatherPixie
Favorite Links

You are visitor number