The Secret Life of Melanie O.
 
Friday, March 14, 2008
Dan's Health Kick
One day, out of the blue, many men become health conscious. I think this happens between the ages of 40 and 50, when they become acutely aware of their mortality. I think that this realisation happens to women earlier. (Cue the jokes about a species that bleeds every month but doesn't die.) Many men take a bit longer to come to this realisation, but, when they do, they start taking more responsibility for their health and general fitness - and they rope you into taking more responsibility for them, as well. At least, my man does.

I don't know what prompted this - I think he must have heard an announcement on the radio one day - but Dan decided that he needed to take Omega-3 fish oil supplements. He talked about this for days: next time we went grocery shopping, he wanted Omega-3 fish oil. I said fine. After all, there's nothing wrong with wanting to look after your health.

Dan became a bit obsessed and insisted for the entire week that he should have Omega-3's in his diet, so at first opportunity, I gave in and bought both of us a large bottle of fish oil capsules. For myself, I read that they may help alleviate the inflammation associated with arthritis. For Dan, I hope they will help lower his blood pressure. So, I had no problem with spending $40 on fish oil. At least Dan was taking an interest in his general health and well-being.

Dan read the instructions on the bottle, and began dutifully taking his Omega-3's with every meal. In fact, he was so proud of this addition to his daily regimen, that he decided to point this out to me one evening, about a week after our purchase.

He then stopped, in the middle of his boast, and asked, with a puzzled look on his face:

"What are these good for, again?"
posted by Melanie O. at 1:57 PM -
4 Comments:
  • At 12:13 AM, Blogger gardenbug said…

    They'r good for brain function, anti-inflmmation and skin health. Eat fish, too.

     
  • At 2:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Apparently not for the memory ;-)

     
  • At 12:14 AM, Blogger Anthony said…

    Well, congratulations to Dan for being conscious of his health, even if he isn't sure what he's doing.

     
  • At 4:46 PM, Blogger Melanie O. said…

    Well, they haven't boosted his memory, but I think he is starting to grow gills. ;)

     
Post a Comment



About Me
Name: Melanie O.
Home: Durham, North Carolina, United States
About Me: Female, American health and beauty-conscious professional who has rekindled a childhood love of dolls.
See my profile...

Another Retro Housewife
Wannabe
Brought to you by
Previous Posts
Archives
If you read this blog,
you're not alone!
Sydney Weather
    The WeatherPixie
Favorite Links

You are visitor number