The Secret Life of Melanie O.
 
Saturday, March 01, 2008
Men and cars
From my experience, you can tell a lot about a man by the kind of car that he drives.

I've dated men who drove large, gas-guzzling 4 wheel-drive vehicles and seemed very proud of their vehicle ownership. So proud, that as a passenger, I never felt comfortable riding in them. For these men, their vehicles were a sign that they were prosperous (just being able to afford fuel for the beast was an accomplishment), but this kind of pride has never appealed to me. It's not that I'm a terribly "green" person - heaven knows I often forget my shopping bags and have to ask for "plastic." But when you ride around in one of these vehicles, there's a huge disconnect from the world and traffic around you, and I've seen several drivers forget about common courtesy and road safety while they drove around in their invincible fortresses. You often see the worst come out in people when they get behind the wheel of a car - and women are not exempt.

I knew guys who bought muscle cars and the cars became substitute girlfriends, upon which its owner lavished all spare time and attention. It was a Catch-22 for those guys. Were they without partners because of the car, or did they get the car because they were without partners? I befriended one guy like this. The first thing he wanted me to notice about him, was his car. Years later, one of the few things I remember about him is his car: a maroon Camaro Z-28. It's all he talked about - that, and his guitar. I often wonder if he ever found the girlfriend he so desperately wanted, but was afraid to go after. Muscle cars, I suspect, are easier and more predictable than girlfriends.

Life is interesting- experience is the best teacher. I've discovered that the kind of man that's the right match for me, is the man that holds onto a classic car and fixes it up and makes it better than when he first bought it. He doesn't turn it into something that it was never meant to be or embellish it with the latest fads. He just recognises its value, knows that the engine is good even though the body has some dings and the paint is faded, and doesn't mind if it takes years to restore it to a point where he likes to show it off. I married a man like this. It's comforting to know that there are men out there that see the value in a Classic. These men don't need the latest gadgets and the latest flash. Sadly, men like this often get overlooked by women. They're more often than not, the proverbial "nice guy."

Looking back over the years, I think about all of the flashy sports cars, 4WD behemoths, and muscle cars I could have been "seen" in, but I'll take our old BMW and my fix-er-up husband any day. Maybe it's just a sign that I'm getting older and flashy doesn't hold any appeal, except in a vintage rhinestone ring. Whatever the reason, I'm glad I learned the lesson. A car is not just a reflection of the man. My husband is a reflection of his car. He just keeps going... and going...and going. The paint's a bit faded, and he's had his share of dings - but damn it - the engine's good, he needs little maintenance, and he's reliable. A real Classic.
posted by Melanie O. at 6:30 PM -
5 Comments:
  • At 10:07 AM, Blogger gardenbug said…

    How about a women who drive a practical truck?

     
  • At 4:35 PM, Blogger Melanie O. said…

    They're smoulderingly sexy just under the hood. ;)

     
  • At 7:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    What would you say about a man who doesn't have ANY car?
    irishnomad.

     
  • At 9:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Nomad - he must have pretty fine-looking legs! :)

     
  • At 5:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    lol!
    I.N.

     
Post a Comment



About Me
Name: Melanie O.
Home: Durham, North Carolina, United States
About Me: Female, American health and beauty-conscious professional who has rekindled a childhood love of dolls.
See my profile...

Another Retro Housewife
Wannabe
Brought to you by
Previous Posts
Archives
If you read this blog,
you're not alone!
Sydney Weather
    The WeatherPixie
Favorite Links

You are visitor number