The Secret Life of Melanie O.
 
Sunday, January 13, 2008
High rollers
I decided that I needed to get out of the house this weekend. I've spent almost every day since Christmas Eve, with the exception of Boxing Day and one day in our city office, cooped up in the house. It's not because I don't have a car or my health is bad - it's because every time I leave the house, I wind up spending money, which is a rather bad habit to get into.

This weekend rolled around and I was gnawing the trim off the walls and putting dents in the ceiling from where I had been bouncing off the walls. My right arm and shoulder has a permanent cramp in it from working constantly at the computer. I announced to Dan that we were going out.

I don't know why Dan didn't notice the fact that I was displaying the same behavioural abnormalities as a prisoner at a detention centre, but he's just like that. He spends all day on the road, in a truck, so when he gets home, he's happy to relax in front of the television.

I did convince him that I needed to get out, though (I think the screaming was what did it), and we made plans to visit our local RSL (Retired Serviceman's League) for a nice dinner and a few games of Keno. Surely, since we hadn't been out for a while, we were due to win Big Bucks.


Boxing Day 2007 - A moment of sanity at someone else's house.

We enjoyed a leisurely roast dinner and a decadent dessert before choosing our numbers. We always go for the five number win. There's always a winner on the five number games. Always, that is, except in the club we were in last night.

We spent $80 on Keno tickets and won a total of $5. Five number wins were coming up all over the map - but missed us entirely. Undaunted, we put our meagre Keno winnings into a poker machine, hoping to at least double what we had. The poker machine ate up our change in no time. For our $5, we got about five minutes of entertainment. A dollar a minute - pretty choice entertainment for nothing back. I decided I'd make more money selling my old underwear on my website, and we called it a night.

Ultimately, I felt better for having gotten out of the house. $80 won't buy much, except perhaps a few days of sanity. And a little wood putty should cover up those gnaw marks. Next time, though, we're going to hit that five number win. And if we don't, that leaves an excuse to get out of the house again.

Sanity is expensive.

posted by Melanie O. at 11:55 AM -
1 Comments:
  • At 11:27 PM, Blogger gardenbug said…

    Friends are advised to never gamble. Your money is hard won. If you lose, you threw your money away. If you win, it is worse. You've taken other people's money and not given them service or product in return. Better spend the money at the cinema. At least you get an hour and a half of entertainment. Glad you had a good dinner.

     
Post a Comment



About Me
Name: Melanie O.
Home: Durham, North Carolina, United States
About Me: Female, American health and beauty-conscious professional who has rekindled a childhood love of dolls.
See my profile...

Another Retro Housewife
Wannabe
Brought to you by
Previous Posts
Archives
If you read this blog,
you're not alone!
Sydney Weather
    The WeatherPixie
Favorite Links

You are visitor number