The Secret Life of Melanie O.
 
Saturday, February 09, 2008
Playing tourist
I love it when family or friends come to visit me from overseas. That's the time I get to roll back to my high school ambition, and play tour guide and museum docent.

When I was in middle and high school, I studied French and took a trip to France with some school mates. I fell in love with the country and didn't find anyone to be rude, as people will sometimes tell you after they get back from a trip to Paris. Mais non. I love just about everything French. I loved the trip so much, I decided that I wanted to attend school at the University of London and work overseas, sharing my wisdom with other students, as someone did with me.

Alas, it was not to be, as I couldn't figure out how to transfer my American high school credits to the university, and the entry process completely confounded me. With no high school guidance counsellor equipped to help me either, I saw my dreams sink into the mud. Everything else was a major disappointment, so I went to the cheapest school near to home that offered a tourism certificate.

As often happens, life choices can lead you far from your intended path. This doesn't mean that I've ever stopped loving to travel and sharing knowledge with others, especially if that knowledge includes cultural and historical information. This is why, when people come to visit me, I get excited. I get to play tour guide. Or rather, I get to play tourist.

Sure, I can draw up an itinerary and suggest places to stay - but the whole point in being a guide is so that you can play tourist, too. I get to share in wine tastings, go on excursions to the top of waterfalls, crawl through caves, and visit quaint historical villages, all the while, impressing my guests with my knowledge of local lore. Never mind their Birkenstocks and Bermuda shorts. We're here to have fun!

You know - even without the degree from the University of London, I feel as if I've still made it, and am doing what I've always wanted to do, (without the silly clothes.)

Now, if I could only convince more people to come out and visit.

Labels: , ,

posted by Melanie O. at 8:46 PM -
5 Comments:
  • At 3:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    'Alas it was not to be...'

    Good approach, I reckon. Never look back!

     
  • At 9:33 AM, Blogger Melanie O. said…

    It's what I believe - if you really want something, life will find a way. It just might be totally unexpected! :)

     
  • At 7:00 PM, Blogger Cooks said…

    we'll be in Oz next year, who knows what happens!

     
  • At 7:31 PM, Blogger Melanie O. said…

    Oooh - that would be so wonderful to be able to catch up. Please keep me posted. xox

     
  • At 1:49 PM, Blogger Karen said…

    It's wonderful when you can realize that though certain things didn't come to happen, that you made other choices that brought you more happiness than you could have expected!

     
Post a Comment



About Me
Name: Melanie O.
Home: Durham, North Carolina, United States
About Me: Female, American health and beauty-conscious professional who has rekindled a childhood love of dolls.
See my profile...

Another Retro Housewife
Wannabe
Brought to you by
Previous Posts
Archives
If you read this blog,
you're not alone!
Sydney Weather
    The WeatherPixie
Favorite Links

You are visitor number