The Secret Life of Melanie O.
 
Monday, March 24, 2008
When the going gets tough

...the tough go shopping.

At least, this is what happens to me.

I've decided that it's dangerous to my wallet for me to feel sorry for myself. The other day I was lamenting the fact that I don't have any women friends who are close by for spontaneous lunches, a girls' night out, or just a chat on the phone. Everyone lives so far away - it takes quite a bit of advance planning in order to actually meet up with someone, and then you have to add the expense of transportation to everything. Any call I make to the city is long distance and winds up costing too much. I've tried to push Skype on them so that we can at least talk via computer, but so far, only my friend Kanani has been successful setting it up. Dan's a great husband, but he just can't make up for the lack of female companionship - or so I thought. There are, of course, some things that only a woman friend can provide. Heck - most men I know want women friends as well as men friends.

As a result of feeling like I needed my women friends around, and feeling bored and rather unfulfilled in the estrogen mingling department, I decided to get onto eBay and purchase a new designer handbag. I've come to the conclusion that designer handbags have substituted in recent years, for the lack of women friends that I have readily accessible to me. In fact, I never owned a real designer bag until I moved out to Australia, unless you count Stone Mountain as a designer label.

I had every good intention of only getting one bag. After all, even on eBay, they aren't cheap. I came away with THREE. The first one wasn't so bad - even with the postage, it cost me less than $100. Not satisfied with that, I found more that I desired. Did I want a pink bag? Or gold leather? Or the calf hair leopard print one? I called Dan to me. He was going to have to substitute for a girlfriend.

"Help me decide," I pleaded.

"You already have two pink bags," he said. "So that cuts that one out."

I sighed with disappointment as I removed the pebbled pink leather Coach handbag from my Watched Items list.

"That leaves the gold leather Bebe bag, or the calf hair Michael Kors bag," I told him.

"I like both of those. Which one do you like better?"

"I like them both," I confessed. "That's why I called you in here. Help me decide."

"Get both of them," he said.

Spoken like a true substitute girlfriend. He could have said "You already own too many handbags," but he didn't.

I told my friend Kanani about my addiction. She's been on eBay bidding on vintage gloves - five pairs. I think we miss each other. I hope our wallets will recover!

Listen to the audio [5.9 MB]

posted by Melanie O. at 12:00 PM -
5 Comments:
  • At 6:33 AM, Blogger Cooks said…

    You went for the bags, I just ordered a stack load of Victoria Secret to be shipped to the NL, the dangers of online shopping ;-)

     
  • At 6:51 AM, Blogger YesterdaysLace said…

    I'm certainly happy I don't have the same addiction as you two! :)

    Shopping NE1?

     
  • At 7:49 AM, Blogger Melanie O. said…

    Ha ha! We're all partners in crime!

     
  • At 2:10 PM, Blogger Karen said…

    Aww, after the denial of the pink bag, he gave you the perfect answer!
    I need some new bags....I might just have to go poking around now for some deals. I think it's contagious!

     
  • At 11:31 AM, Blogger gardenbug said…

    Since you three have the same addiction, why not ship to each other? Take your oldest bag and ship it out. This makes room on the shelf for something new...what some one else ships to you.

     
Post a Comment



About Me
Name: Melanie O.
Home: Durham, North Carolina, United States
About Me: Female, American health and beauty-conscious professional who has rekindled a childhood love of dolls.
See my profile...

Another Retro Housewife
Wannabe
Brought to you by
Previous Posts
Archives
If you read this blog,
you're not alone!
Sydney Weather
    The WeatherPixie
Favorite Links

You are visitor number