The Secret Life of Melanie O.
 
Wednesday, July 22, 2009
Stress kills
In the past couple of weeks, my world has decided to break down:

Our hot water heater died. We called a repairman who announced that the thermo-coupler was hanging on by a thread, and that the model of heater we have is so old that he couldn't get a replacement part. We have to start saving up for a new water heater. He couldn't tell us how long the repair would last, but that it was, at best, a temporary fix.

Then, a few days later, in the middle of editing an important document, my phone line went dead. With the phone line, went my Internet connection. I couldn't get any work done, I couldn't get into our network to retrieve any documents - and I couldn't call anyone to let them know I couldn't finish up the documents, because I didn't have their phone number programmed into my phone - which wasn't working anyway.

I grabbed my mobile phone and called the phone company. They said my phone would be fixed within three working days. It was a Friday. That meant that it could be the following Tuesday before it was fixed. I was beside myself.

That weekend, we went to the mall, and for the first time in my life, I used an Internet kiosk to send out an urgent SOS to my colleagues. Now I know why I've never used an Internet kiosk except in dire emergencies. The key caps had been moved around by a bored kiosk user, and I had to pound the space bar with my fist in order to get it to work.

Yesterday, the email system at work went down. Things are just imploding around me. This always happens when I'm stressed about something.

Dan and I got our flight plans worked out, and when I went to hunt down my passport, I discovered that I would not be allowed back into the country unless I paid $260 for a special travel visa. I have to take time off work to get a sticker put in my passport by Immigration.

I sometimes wonder: What's next?

Never mind. I really don't want to know. They say that "stress kills." I agree, but it doesn't kill people, it kills electronic equipment!

Labels:

posted by Melanie O. at 4:21 PM -
6 Comments:
  • At 9:43 AM, Blogger David said…

    That really sucks!
    Sometimes I think I should go on holiday on my way back to Ireland, but it seems too stressful to arrange. There's something really wrong with that.

     
  • At 1:46 PM, Blogger Ann said…

    Why do you need a special permit? Organising it is stressful (says she who sent thousands of $ into the ether to a South African bank account and panicked (sp?) for about a week till they confirmed receipt, and is now stressing again waiting for her new passport to arrive from Canberra. It is, however, always worth it.

     
  • At 7:25 PM, Blogger Geetali said…

    What a sucky series of events, M. Hopefully, they're the harbinger of better times.
    ((hugs))

     
  • At 8:03 PM, Blogger Melanie O. said…

    Ann, it's what the Australian government calls a "Resident Return Visa." I have yet to figure out what this does except to bring in extra cash.

    I always try not to stress, because that's when things always break down. I am sure that there is a cause and effect there, somewhere, and if I could just harness it, I could solve the energy crisis!

     
  • At 9:41 AM, Blogger Ann said…

    I didn't realise they charged you for those. Mind you, is there anything they don't charge for these days.

     
  • At 1:28 PM, Blogger Anthony said…

    Whenever I'm stressed out, that's when everything seems to go wrong. I think there is some sort of psychokinetic connection. High emotions tend to create high energy. Poltergeists have been explained in that way, as well. Maybe that's why all your gadgets are going haywire. That's right. Blame it on poltergeists. ^_^

     
Post a Comment



About Me
Name: Melanie O.
Home: Durham, North Carolina, United States
About Me: Female, American health and beauty-conscious professional who has rekindled a childhood love of dolls.
See my profile...

Another Retro Housewife
Wannabe
Brought to you by
Previous Posts
Archives
If you read this blog,
you're not alone!
Sydney Weather
    The WeatherPixie
Favorite Links

You are visitor number