The Secret Life of Melanie O.
 
Monday, June 08, 2009
One of "those days"
Ever have one of those days where you just feel totally useless, unappreciated, and in general, completely unmotivated?

Today is one of those days for me, which is really a shame, because it's a public holiday here in Australia. However, we've not done much over the long weekend, save for a day trip to the coast where it was cold and windy (we did get a nice seafood lunch, though.)

I blame the overcast weather. I hate winter. I don't hate the cold - I just hate the overcast skies and the constant rain. I grew up in Syracuse, NY. I read that Syracuse only gets 63 sunny days per year. That's over 300 days per year of cloud cover greater than 50%. No wonder I was depressed as a kid and moved away as soon as I could.

I suppose all of this overcast weather and rain is beneficial to plant life. Our plants can sleep for a season and renew themselves, only to burst forth in the spring with fresh life and vigor. But it's unfair to humans, who are expected to continue to toil and produce, all while mother nature is screaming at us to give it a rest.

As for my mood, like they say in the song, I Blame it on the Weatherman. Still, hibernating for a couple of months doesn't seem like a bad idea. Someone wake me in the spring?
posted by Melanie O. at 4:26 PM -
6 Comments:
  • At 5:54 PM, Blogger chimera said…

    My sympathies, I know exactly what you mean. It's not the cold, it's the dreariness and lack of sunshine that's terrible in winter. Sending you happy sunshiney vibes from Paris !

     
  • At 6:41 PM, Blogger Melanie O. said…

    Thanks, c - Paris vibes are welcome any time!

     
  • At 8:25 AM, Blogger David said…

    I hope you feel better! Is the weather any better now down your way?

     
  • At 1:23 PM, Blogger Melanie O. said…

    Today isn't so bad. It's freezing - but the sun's shining. Yay!

     
  • At 7:21 PM, Blogger Geetali said…

    Would you like to exchange places with me? Endless sunshine is getting pretty tiresome!

     
  • At 10:43 AM, Blogger Melanie O. said…

    G - You poor thing, LOL! It's been hovering around the freezing point for the past few days now. Brrrr!

     
Post a Comment



About Me
Name: Melanie O.
Home: Durham, North Carolina, United States
About Me: Female, American health and beauty-conscious professional who has rekindled a childhood love of dolls.
See my profile...

Another Retro Housewife
Wannabe
Brought to you by
Previous Posts
Archives
If you read this blog,
you're not alone!
Sydney Weather
    The WeatherPixie
Favorite Links

You are visitor number