The Secret Life of Melanie O.
 
Tuesday, April 07, 2009
Angora sweaters
Winter is fast approaching Down Under. It annoys me that in April, instead of looking forward to sunshine and flowers, I have to prepare for cold weather. I'm not sure I will ever get used to this, as there is no national holiday to break up the monotony of the short days and cold temperatures.

Our house is basically an ice box with a veranda, built in the days when people apparently were much hardier then, than they are now. I decided that this year, I am going to concentrate on buying a wardrobe befitting the climate, so I purchased several angora sweaters.

I love angora. It's soft. It's warm, and it feels "rich." Every time I pick up an angora sweater, I am reminded of sweater girls from the 1950's, and Ed Woods' obsession with wearing his girlfriend Dolores Fuller's sweaters and stretching them out of shape (according to the Tim Burton film). It's sad that no one makes angora sweaters for men. They get stuck with cashmere, which, while also lovely and warm, doesn't have the fuzzy comfort factor of angora.

I have to confess, while I may look nice in angora, Johnny Depp looks better.
posted by Melanie O. at 2:35 PM -
4 Comments:
  • At 7:54 PM, Blogger Kanani said…

    Oh, I forget you're on a different seasonal schedule. I'll bet your house isn't insulated --neither is mine!

     
  • At 2:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Too funny! "Ed Wood" is one of my favorite films! I actually own a four DVD set called "The Ed Wood Box" It include "Glen and Glenda" and "Plan 9 From Outer Space".

     
  • At 2:39 AM, Blogger jeepdriver said…

    Melanie,
    I didn't mean to leave an anonymous post about "Ed Wood". I'm not ashamed of liking that film or Ed Wood's campy films. Martin Landau was brilliant as Bela Lugosi!

    Paul

     
  • At 1:37 PM, Blogger Melanie O. said…

    I love ol' Ed! We've got several of his movies, including Plan 9, Glen or Glenda, Jail Bait, and Bride of the Monster. Watching them reminds me of what it was like to have the imagination of an 11 year old. (I miss those days. Whatever happened to my imagination?)

     
Post a Comment



About Me
Name: Melanie O.
Home: Durham, North Carolina, United States
About Me: Female, American health and beauty-conscious professional who has rekindled a childhood love of dolls.
See my profile...

Another Retro Housewife
Wannabe
Brought to you by
Previous Posts
Archives
If you read this blog,
you're not alone!
Sydney Weather
    The WeatherPixie
Favorite Links

You are visitor number