The Secret Life of Melanie O.
 
Sunday, February 08, 2009
The perils of boredom
Dan's mango pedicureThis weekend has been a scorcher. Temperatures have hovered near 100F out where we live. We are in peril of bush fires due to having no substantial rain for a month. So, what do we do to cope?

We get silly, of course. It might be the heat playing with our brains, but some interesting things have come out of this heat-related silliness.

Dan and I have an annual summer ritual. It's called "Dan's pedicure." It all started several years ago when I was giving myself a pedicure and Dan decided to be a pest and distract me by putting his feet in my lap as I was painting my toenails.

"OK," I told him. "Don't say I didn't warn you." And then I proceeded to paint his toenails to match mine.

Instead of being annoyed at his sparkly purplish-pink toenails, Dan had a laugh, which, of course, made me laugh. Now, every summer, I give Dan a pedicure and paint his toenails. Strangely enough, I don't give myself a pedicure any more.

This year, I thought I would be a little more democratic about things, and ask my online women friends to vote for the colour of the polish. The overwhelming majority voted for mango, out of a choice of mango, pink, gold, silver or pearl.

Dan, being the good sport he is, went along with the vote and is now the proud owner of bright orangey-red toenails. He even pulled out his thongs (flip-flops) to display his toes to the world. Actually, we went to see my in-laws this afternoon, where my father in-law remarked on the redness of the pedicure. "I like being different," Dan explained.

"Well, you've got that one sewn up," Dan's father replied.

I have to admire my husband - a man so secure in his own blokiness that he has no problem wearing sandals on the weekend to show off his pedicure. And I have to admit - mango is his colour.

Labels:

posted by Melanie O. at 9:47 PM -
2 Comments:
  • At 9:28 PM, Blogger Kanani said…

    I always thought --instinctively knew, that Dan was a real keeper. You're so lucky, Melanie. Really & Truly.

     
  • At 5:49 AM, Blogger Melanie O. said…

    I have to say - he is always a good sport about it. Last night I told him that he had prettier toenails than I do!

     
Post a Comment



About Me
Name: Melanie O.
Home: Durham, North Carolina, United States
About Me: Female, American health and beauty-conscious professional who has rekindled a childhood love of dolls.
See my profile...

Another Retro Housewife
Wannabe
Brought to you by
Previous Posts
Archives
If you read this blog,
you're not alone!
Sydney Weather
    The WeatherPixie
Favorite Links

You are visitor number