The Secret Life of Melanie O.
 
Sunday, February 01, 2009
I'm melting.... what a world, what a world...
It's summer in Australia, and this one's been a "cracker," as Dan would say. Temperatures have been hovering near (and on some days, has surpassed) the 40 C /100 F mark. My orchids are burning despite me keeping them shaded. I sweat my way through the day, and food doesn't keep - even when I keep it in the refrigerator.

We live in an old country farm house with no air conditioning - not even one of those window units like they have in cheap motels. The best way I have to cool off is to wet my clothes and go around with soggy underwear. This is not only effective, but it is a "green" way to keep cool. I recommend it for anyone else who lives in 19th century conditions.

I wouldn't mind all of this sweating if it was actually the kind of sweating that helps you to lose weight. But of course, nature is cruel, and it's the kind of sweating that makes you blow up like a balloon and feel like someone's greased you down. It's the kind of sweat that makes you stick to anything. Like spaghetti, you can throw me against the wall to see if I'm "done." And let's just say that it doesn't do any wonders for your love life.

Next week is supposed to be even worse, with a heat wave that has hit Adelaide, scheduled to reach Sydney. I am NOT ready for 45 / 112 degree temperatures! I'm not sure what I'm going to do then. I may take a cue from my old cat, Butchie, who slept in the bathroom sink to keep cool in the summer. I do fit in the bathtub, after all.

Labels:

posted by Melanie O. at 4:34 PM -
9 Comments:
  • At 9:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    If it gets that hot I am spending the whole week at work in the air conditioning!

     
  • At 11:32 PM, Blogger gardenbug said…

    Atleast the humidity is low where you live. For Pete's sake, buy a window AC unit for your bedroom. High heat DOES kill people.

     
  • At 7:54 AM, Blogger Melanie O. said…

    If I could afford a/c, believe me, I'd have it by now. I have to pay off my credit card, first.

    David, if it gets that hot, I'm spending the week in wet clothes, and I'm stocking up on ice cubes!

     
  • At 8:20 AM, Blogger Melanie O. said…

    Just checked the 7-day forecast. You're safe in the city, David. Temps will be about 10 degrees cooler there than they will be here, so looks like work will have to get on without you. ;)

     
  • At 7:35 AM, Blogger Kanani said…

    Definitely sit in the tub. If you can, go buy a large trough, put it outside, sit in it during the day and cover it at night. Instant spa!

    Oh...and don't forget your hat!

     
  • At 8:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    By crikey! No wonder you guys are running outta water. My baby brother came back recently from Oz and told me how even the toilets flush differently in order to save water.

     
  • At 10:02 PM, Blogger Melanie O. said…

    Nomad, it's been horrid this past couple of weeks. And to think I was complaining about the cold two months ago!

     
  • At 4:35 PM, Blogger Jack said…

    Interesting blog on life's vicissitudes and getting older, got here from Vickis Nylons.

    Many life intersections here:

    -IT career (IBM)
    -Live just N. of Danbury,Ct. in New Fairfield on Candlewood lake
    -flying (instructor pilot)
    -three daughters
    -Catholic upbringing
    -mental illness (knowledgeable)
    -born NYC; relatives in Manhattan
    -relatives in acting
    -etc.

    27F here now but you can freeze so what is so bad about 100F? LOL...........peace in Oz.
    a place some here say is retro 50s the way America used to be in certain ways......Jack

    http://ctman2.dyndns.ws

     
  • At 9:44 PM, Blogger Melanie O. said…

    Hello, Jack! Nice to see you here. I love Vicki - glad she linked me to her site.

    In a way, Australia has retained a lot of the Fifties - from attitudes to a way of life... maybe that's why I like it here.

    P.S. You can keep those CT winters! :)

     
Post a Comment



About Me
Name: Melanie O.
Home: Durham, North Carolina, United States
About Me: Female, American health and beauty-conscious professional who has rekindled a childhood love of dolls.
See my profile...

Another Retro Housewife
Wannabe
Brought to you by
Previous Posts
Archives
If you read this blog,
you're not alone!
Sydney Weather
    The WeatherPixie
Favorite Links

You are visitor number