The Secret Life of Melanie O.
 
Sunday, February 15, 2009
Girlfriends' Day
Yesterday was Valentine's Day, and Dan and I did something truly unromantic - we got together with friends and spent the day out.

I haven't really taken stock with Valentine's Day since I was a teenager. It's always been a disappointment. No man I have ever known has put the same amount of importance on Valentine's Day, as we women do. So, I've given up on it.

I've decided that Valentine's Day is now Girlfriends' Day. The day you get out with your girlfriends if you're a woman of any age, and have fun, while at the same time, you share a giggle together about your male partners. My girlfriend Helen and I have both come to the same conclusion. When our children become parents, we will be called Grammie, and our male partners will be called Grumpy.

No one knows why this happens. Men seem to get grumpier as they get older - much in the same way male chimpanzees do. Women, on the other hand, tend to get 'girlier' as they get older, and cause their children to roll their eyes in disapproval at their antics. My sons haven't said a whole lot about me modeling lingerie over the years, but no doubt they wonder when I am going to act like a dignified older woman. The answer to that is - never.

So, I hereby dedicate Valentine's Day to girlfriends far and near. I have girlfriends all over the world (you know who you are), aged from their 20's to their 70's, and each one is a treasure. Some are gay, some are straight, some have partners and some are single. Some are only girlfriends in my memory now. But I wouldn't have traded the experience for anything.

Next Valentine's Day, I may leave my husband at home and just take my girlfriends out.

Labels:

posted by Melanie O. at 9:45 PM -
5 Comments:
  • At 11:26 PM, Blogger Caro said…

    What a lovely idea.

    I got flowers and a card late in the day as usual after he'd been reminded what day it was.

     
  • At 9:27 PM, Blogger Kanani said…

    What a great idea. I wish I were over there!

     
  • At 5:50 AM, Blogger Melanie O. said…

    I wish you were here, too - or I was there... or something!

     
  • At 7:57 AM, Blogger Brabarella Lingerie said…

    Hey Melanie, Marty here. That’s too bad about your St. Valentine’s day, but I think you need to better know how us men function. Most men learn that “oh you shouldn’t have!” really means “it’s a good thing you did,” but there are still a few that have trouble catching on and think “oh, she said I shouldn’t have and that it costs too much, so I’ll remember that the next time and cut back.” We’re literalists. We’re also into cause and effect. We’re kind of like house pets, so we’re very trainable. You need to say things like “Remember the dozen roses you got me? We’ll this (you know what) if for giving me those roses.” Otherwise he’ll connect the last thing he did as the thing he’s getting rewarded for. “Gee it must be because I mowed the lawn this morning, cool! Wish that grass would grow faster!” We’re really pretty simple…..

     
  • At 8:37 AM, Blogger Melanie O. said…

    hee hee, Marty!

    Well, Dan made up for the lack of romance on Valentine's Day (which I knew he would), by taking me to my favorite Indian restaurant the following week. Of course, when you both have curry breath, it's perfectly acceptable to kiss and make it a romantic occasion. :D

     
Post a Comment



About Me
Name: Melanie O.
Home: Durham, North Carolina, United States
About Me: Female, American health and beauty-conscious professional who has rekindled a childhood love of dolls.
See my profile...

Another Retro Housewife
Wannabe
Brought to you by
Previous Posts
Archives
If you read this blog,
you're not alone!
Sydney Weather
    The WeatherPixie
Favorite Links

You are visitor number