The Secret Life of Melanie O.
 
Wednesday, April 08, 2009
Truckin' in the Land of Oz
I've got the week off from work, and this was great for the first day, Monday, when I spent the day preserving and repairing my vintage dolls. I cleaned them and sealed up their surface crazing and painted the areas with missing paint, taking care to duplicate the original configurations and colors. It looks very professional, if I do say so myself.

On Tuesday, I began to wonder what I was going to do with my day. It was overcast and a bit cool and I spent most of the day just amusing myself on eBay. I hemmed a couple pairs of pants and just relaxed. By Tuesday evening, I'd had enough of my "holiday," and told Dan that I was already bored and it was only Day 2 of my vacation.

That's when Dan suggested I get up at 5:30 am and go in the truck with him to make a pickup down the coast.

Five thirty A.M.! "But I'm on vacation!" I protested.

Nevertheless, I was up this morning at 5:30 am and in the truck, ready to go by 6:15. Dan was happy to have some company, and I was happy to get out of the house. The day turned out to be sunny and glorious, and we had an exciting time, going down Mount Ousley in a semi with the electric brakes on, winding through mountainous roads and squeezing through construction zones. You haven't lived until you can reach out your window and touch the concrete construction barriers - if only the truck sat low enough.

And you really haven't seen awe-inspiring countryside until you climb down a mountain and find yourself amongst rolling hills, farms, and winding creeks and rivers. The Shoalhaven area looks just like the John Rea Neill illustrations in my Oz series of books, and I have to wonder if Mr Neill ever made a trip Down Under in the days when you had to travel by steam ship.

We didn't encounter any wicked witches on our trip, although I have to say that finding decent toilets when you're on the road in a truck is a challenge. And you get to see all of the stupid things that drivers do, from a great vantage point.

We turned the radio up and sang along to E.L.O. ("don't bring me down, B-r-u-u-u-ce...") and ate Subway subs for lunch and ran three abreast with other trucks who were struggling to go back up Mount Ousley with full loads. (I am sure people behind us cussed us out, but we did manage to get past.)

Who would have thought riding in a truck could be so much fun?
posted by Melanie O. at 7:14 PM -
6 Comments:
  • At 11:07 PM, Blogger YesterdaysLace said…

    Ready to give up your day job for a bit of vagabonding? :) Sounds like you had a wonderful time.

     
  • At 11:26 PM, Blogger chimera said…

    sounds like a great road trip!

     
  • At 9:36 AM, Blogger Melanie O. said…

    A perfect day, great scenery, fun company. Beats sitting at home in front of the computer! I love road trips.

     
  • At 10:28 PM, Blogger gardenbug said…

    It sounds like you had a wonderful day. Did you sing Willie Nelson's, "On The Road Again?"

     
  • At 3:39 PM, Blogger Melanie O. said…

    Ha ha! No - didn't sing that one. Maybe next time.

     
  • At 1:42 AM, Blogger Karen said…

    I'm sure Dan loved the company on the trip too! Sounds like fun.

     
Post a Comment



About Me
Name: Melanie O.
Home: Durham, North Carolina, United States
About Me: Female, American health and beauty-conscious professional who has rekindled a childhood love of dolls.
See my profile...

Another Retro Housewife
Wannabe
Brought to you by
Previous Posts
Archives
If you read this blog,
you're not alone!
Sydney Weather
    The WeatherPixie
Favorite Links

You are visitor number