The Secret Life of Melanie O.
 
Monday, March 08, 2010
Simple pleasures
People often ask me why I'm usually in a good mood, even keeled - unflappable even. The secret? I enjoy simple pleasures and try to look for them every day. Simple pleasures make every day a good day.

Sometimes, my simple pleasure is a good cup of cappuccino, seeing my roses in bloom, or receiving a compliment on my shoes.

It can be a smile and hello from a complete stranger. Or finding an email from a friend or family member in my Inbox.

Simple pleasures include winning an eBay auction and getting something I want for a bargain price, or watching an episode of Ghost Adventures with my husband and having a laugh over Aaron's reactions. They include freshly baked bread, launching a new web site, getting a hug from a neighbor's child.

This weekend, my simple pleasures included a trip to a doll show, where I bought much needed doll stands in varying sizes. As I walked up and down the aisles, I was reminded that yes, I collect the right era's dolls for me. And my husband never minds accompanying me to these doll shows. I accompany him to his model train days and am never bored with them. Simple pleasure on top of simple pleasure!

In the evening, we went to a neighbor's house to help them "break in" their newly refurbished kitchen. The husband is a professional chef and the food was delightful. So was the company. Our circle of friends has expanded. And I got hugs from their kids.

Never underestimate the power of a simple pleasure.

Labels:

posted by Melanie O. at 2:25 PM -
4 Comments:
  • At 10:09 PM, Blogger David said…

    That sounds like a lovely weekend!

     
  • At 5:50 AM, Blogger Melanie O. said…

    David, it was. I never get tired of evenings with friends. :)

     
  • At 11:48 AM, Blogger gardenbug said…

    ...a good book, a fire, warm coffee, a cookie and leisure time. this is a simple pleasure for us northern birds...sigh...

     
  • At 3:26 AM, Blogger Geetali said…

    Yes, a simple pleasure is actually a big thing!
    Your afternoon sounds wonderful :)

     
Post a Comment



About Me
Name: Melanie O.
Home: Durham, North Carolina, United States
About Me: Female, American health and beauty-conscious professional who has rekindled a childhood love of dolls.
See my profile...

Another Retro Housewife
Wannabe
Brought to you by
Previous Posts
Archives
If you read this blog,
you're not alone!
Sydney Weather
    The WeatherPixie
Favorite Links

You are visitor number