The Secret Life of Melanie O.
 
Saturday, June 03, 2006
Communication
Dan and I don't talk as much as we used to. This happens to lots of couples. As a couple, you start out exploring your relationship, talk about everything that interests you and that has ever happened to you, tell jokes to amuse each other, and feel responsible for correcting those awkward moments of silence when you're snuggled up on the couch together.

The fact that Dan and I don't talk as much as we used to, is not necessarily a bad thing. I swear that we've started to communicate telepathically. I can't pinpoint the exact moment this happened, but it seems to be happening more and more frequently.

I think one of the first signs of our telepathic communion happened one day when dinner time was approaching.

"You know what...," I asked.

Most men dread hearing this. They automatically freeze up and wonder what they forgot to pick up at the store, or whose birthday they've let slip by unremembered. But not Dan - he came right in on cue:

"You want to have pizza for dinner," he answered me.

Ding! Ding! 10 points to our contestant. We ordered pizza - pepperoni, mushrooms, and onions, our favorite.

Today, after lunch, while we were watching an episode of Home Improvement on DVD, I looked at Dan, who was about to get up. He asked me: "what am I going to do now?"

I responded, "you're getting tea and cake for while we sit and watch TV." He was. I didn't need to ask. Or rather, he didn't need to ask.

"Guess what I'm thinking we should do today," he'll ask me.
"You want to go down to Randwick to see a movie," I'll reply. And I'll be right.

This happens all the time. We read each others' thoughts with alarming regularity. Sometimes this can be embarrassing for Dan, because I know when he's looking at vintage photos of buxom women in underwear on the computer, although he tries to hide it. My kids found out that I always could sense when they were in trouble - so this telepathic thing means that you're a bit of an open book to the person with whom you're in sync. Overall, though, it's great because you don't have to talk as much, and the communication's a lot more honest. You find that your moods become more closely connected, too.

Maybe that's why Samuel L. Clemens coined the phrase "familiarity breeds contempt." The more you know someone, the more you know their motivations and what they're thinking in any given circumstance. There's no more pretty window dressing to distract you from the real view.

The biggest downside to this telepathic stuff, is that you can only do this with other people. It takes brainwaves to hook up together for it to work. I'll be damned if I wish it wouldn't apply to picking winning lottery numbers! I know when we're ordering pizza for dinner, though.
posted by Melanie O. at 3:28 PM -
1 Comments:
Post a Comment



About Me
Name: Melanie O.
Home: Durham, North Carolina, United States
About Me: Female, American health and beauty-conscious professional who has rekindled a childhood love of dolls.
See my profile...

Another Retro Housewife
Wannabe
Brought to you by
Previous Posts
Archives
If you read this blog,
you're not alone!
Sydney Weather
    The WeatherPixie
Favorite Links

You are visitor number