The Secret Life of Melanie O.
 
Monday, August 14, 2006
Preparing for the family reunion
Three weeks before our trip to the USA for the big family reunion, to meet my new daughter-in-law and catch up with everyone else. So, why am I not more excited? I think I can figure out why:

I am not looking forwards to being in a crowded noisy house with a group that keeps different hours, goes to bed at different times, etc. As a parent, I’ve been conditioned to not fall asleep until all my kids were safely tucked in bed. I’m usually the last one to nod off. I don’t expect to get much sleep for a few days.

I won’t be able to relax. With my mother, I’ll be running errands, preparing food, preparing decorations and looking after things to make sure they go well.


It’s only a matter of time before I will feel over stimulated and wind up with headaches. I live in a large city – all I want to do when I go away is relax and have fun. This will be work. Every personal problem will be aired, and I don’t have the time nor energy to fix everyone’s problems, but they will weigh on me like I need to fix them.

So why am I doing this? I have that figured out, too.

I miss my family – I can’t wait to catch up.
I’m looking forwards to all of the nostalgic reminiscences of the kinds of things my sister and I got up to when we were kids.
Looking at old photos. Seeing the familiar faces of people I love and who have passed on.
Lots of hugs and laughs.
Joking with my kids. Going over lots of memories and making plans for new memories.
Meeting new family members and reconnecting with old ones.
Showing my husband the many reasons why I am the person I am today.
Visiting some of the old haunts – like where I got my first real job.
It’s close to New York City – we’ll do a couple of days in the city, which will make Sydney seem quite “manageable” again by comparison.

Reunions, like religion, are a double-edged sword. As long as I stay on the blunt side of the blade, it will be a great time.
posted by Melanie O. at 12:57 PM -
2 Comments:
  • At 9:43 PM, Blogger gardenbug said…

    It is that time of my life to simplify and clear out. I put aside, letters from you and Beth. I think you will enjoy looking at them. You can take them with you (We can mail them to Sydney) or distroy them. Anyways, they have to get out of the house as I need order, not accumulation...letters are a rainy day activity, or a resting activity. A few letters are from your sons.

     
  • At 8:29 AM, Blogger Melanie O. said…

    I'm looking forwards to the photos and letters. I think it's a sign of getting older when you start getting all nostalgic for your childhood and youth (probably the most tumultuous time of life.)

     
Post a Comment



About Me
Name: Melanie O.
Home: Durham, North Carolina, United States
About Me: Female, American health and beauty-conscious professional who has rekindled a childhood love of dolls.
See my profile...

Another Retro Housewife
Wannabe
Brought to you by
Previous Posts
Archives
If you read this blog,
you're not alone!
Sydney Weather
    The WeatherPixie
Favorite Links

You are visitor number