The Secret Life of Melanie O.
 
Friday, July 07, 2006
The Greys
Ever have one of those days when you just feel down and you don’t know why? I am having one of those days.

Was it the brownie I had for tea today?

Is it because I haven’t had enough sleep?

Is it because I’m madly trying to track some packages I should have received by now from eBay auctions?

Or maybe it’s because I’ve been doing two people’s jobs this week.

Whatever the reason, it’s been a blaa day. I wouldn’t call it the Blues, exactly, since blue is a color, and today’s a colorless day. I’d call it a case of the Greys.

Grey days affect us all every once in a while. You can’t seem to find out where your energy went. You can’t seem to move forward with that important project. Everything seems a bit lacklustre. Even that walk through the designer handbag department in the upscale department store doesn’t lift your spirits. It only makes you realise that only crazy people spend $1,000 for a handbag.

No way would I spend $1,000 or more for a handbag that I will be bored with next year. I think the most I’ve spent on one is $200. It sits in a dustbag in my closet. I know that if I added up the value of all my handbags, they would come to well over $1,000, but that doesn’t bother me because I use one for a couple of weeks, and then have something to change it to when I get bored with it.

None of my handbags are grey.

I don’t really know what the cure is for the Greys. There’s no music written for the Greys, except possibly early New Wave music.

Maybe I need to find something new to obsess about, rather than how clean my carpets are, the diesel oil on the arm of the lounge that won’t come out, or the cat hair that I’m vacuuming up, several months after the demise of our cat.

Of course, with every grey day comes a grey lining. I’ve got a big pot of homemade soup waiting for me when I get home, which means I don’t have to really do any cooking. And I can sleep in tomorrow. Thank goodness I dream in vivid full color.
posted by Melanie O. at 4:23 PM -
2 Comments:
  • At 2:09 AM, Blogger Karen said…

    Enjoy your weekend- spend some time dancing around the kitchen, go for a long walk, snog Dan. Feel better soon!

     
  • At 9:12 AM, Blogger Melanie O. said…

    Thanks, Karen. We're going out to see Pirates of the Caribbean 2 - so that should liven the weekend up a bit. And then (what else) - a $5 steak dinner. :-)

     
Post a Comment



About Me
Name: Melanie O.
Home: Durham, North Carolina, United States
About Me: Female, American health and beauty-conscious professional who has rekindled a childhood love of dolls.
See my profile...

Another Retro Housewife
Wannabe
Brought to you by
Previous Posts
Archives
If you read this blog,
you're not alone!
Sydney Weather
    The WeatherPixie
Favorite Links

You are visitor number