The Secret Life of Melanie O.
 
Sunday, June 18, 2006
When I'm 64
Today is Sir Paul McCartney's birthday - he was my first ever real crush - one that's lasted most of my life. So, of course, I will always remember that today is his birthday. Sir Paul is 64 years old today.

I'll also remember the significance of today's date because it's Dan's birthday. He's not 64 - he's 48 (and doesn't want to be reminded of his age.)


Dan's an incurable romantic. He's the kind of guy who will bring home roses for no reason at all, except that he had a few dollars in his pocket. He loves to start dinner when he gets home from work, so that it's ready when I get home and we can sit and eat together. He does the family driving because he knows that Sydney traffic irritates and scares me. Often he will come home with my favourite snacks from the Asian supermarket. It's those little things that make life together so pleasant.


So, today we are celebrating his birthday by having lunch with his parents. His mum loves to cook for him (because she knows that he appreciates it), so we're eating at their place. I'm putting a few gifts in a gift bag, and am predicting that they will give him his annual bottle of Johnny Walker Red Label scotch. Yesterday, I took him for lunch and told him that he could pick wherever he wanted to eat. He chose a traditional Aussie pub and we ate pizza and nachos. He's a man of simple tastes - but that's one of the things I love about him.


Dan teases me about my crush on Sir Paul. I told him it must be the fact that they were both born on the same day that makes them incurable romantics.


To quote Dan:
"We may have the same birthday, but he's the one with the talent and money. What did you do wrong?"

I have to say.... nothing. Absolutely nothing. If Dan can put a smile on my face every day, then I know I did the right thing by marrying him and moving to the other side of the planet.

Happy Birthday, Darling. I'll still need you when I'm 64.
posted by Melanie O. at 9:59 AM -
4 Comments:
  • At 8:57 PM, Blogger gardenbug said…

    Happy Birthday, Dan. Live long and prosper...the two of you.

     
  • At 12:40 AM, Blogger Jo said…

    awww. what a cute post!

    happy birthday dan!

     
  • At 5:18 PM, Blogger wee_wee said…

    Happy belated birthday, Dan!

     
  • At 9:14 PM, Blogger Melanie O. said…

    Thanks gardenbug, jo, and wee_wee!

    He had a nice birthday - he got train journey DVDs and was in heaven, LOL!

     
Post a Comment



About Me
Name: Melanie O.
Home: Durham, North Carolina, United States
About Me: Female, American health and beauty-conscious professional who has rekindled a childhood love of dolls.
See my profile...

Another Retro Housewife
Wannabe
Brought to you by
Previous Posts
Archives
If you read this blog,
you're not alone!
Sydney Weather
    The WeatherPixie
Favorite Links

You are visitor number