The Secret Life of Melanie O.
 
Thursday, June 29, 2006
Typical day
My life as a married career woman has settled into a predictable routine, in which “working for the man” has taken over, and “snogging the husband” plays second fiddle.

My day goes something like this:

Get up at 6 am. Husband has already left for work. House is quiet. Fumble around looking for clean underwear. Hopefully, decision on “what to wear” has been made the night before. Go to work with wrong shoes or underwear on inside out.

Drive to train station. 15 minutes (10 if traffic is light.) Avoid accidents.

Take train into the city. 20 – 30 minutes depending on whether or not I’ve caught the “all stations.” Call husband from train station just to hear his voice and say “I love you. Have a nice day.”

Take escalator to main concourse and go through the ticket gate. Station is noisy, although no one is actually talking.

Stop by sandwich shop and grab a croissant for breakfast. $4.00 for a croissant with a bit of ham and cheese in it.

Get to the office, fumble for security pass, ride lift to office where I stare at the computer for 9 hours, ostensibly doing online marketing work and web development, (with a half hour break for lunch,) try to talk on the phone for two minutes to husband, and then repeat process, in reverse, to go home.

Fall asleep briefly on the train.

Stare at shoes. Stare at lap. Fumble with purse. Stare out window. Stare at map of train lines on the wall. Do anything but look at the person crammed in next to me.

Get out at train station. Feel like a cow in a cattle drive. Walk back to car, which is parked at a distance from station.

Drive home. Avoid accidents. Husband usually beats me home and has dinner on that I prepared on Sunday. (I usually make a big pot of something that can be re-heated throughout the week. This week, it’s pasta.)

Have dinner with husband. Watch a DVD with him and chat about daily dramas if I don’t have freelance work waiting for me, otherwise, do freelance jobs. Husband is in bed by 9 pm, exhausted. I have a bath and follow soon afterwards.

Quite frankly – this sucks. And I wonder if we should stop being a slave to our mortgage, our rent, and our desire to get out and live it up on the weekends. But that’s being unrealistic and shortsighted, I suppose.

I keep telling myself that working hard now means we’ll have a great retirement – but I’m not even sure about that, since working hard mainly just covers our bills and pays for trips back to the USA every couple of years. So, now I’m thinking of ways to make Big Money, fast. I wonder if I could auction myself on eBay.
posted by Melanie O. at 10:45 AM -
4 Comments:
  • At 9:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    oh god - its not just me! That's exactly how my life is at the moment. Get up, go to work, come home, go to bed. Repeat. Worse still, I'm nauseous the whole time. And i keep wondering - am i going to regret this lost time when i'm old and infirm? surely there is more?

     
  • At 8:10 AM, Blogger Melanie O. said…

    Sarah - it's awful, isn't it? I wonder if it comes with the territory of living in a large city and everything being centrally located, instead of in neighborhood pockets. I'm thinking of chucking in the rat race, but don't relish the thought of not being able to fly home to see family every couple of years. Some days I just feel the life being sucked out of me. It's got to be worse for Dan, as he spends 12 hours a day in his truck. What a life!

     
  • At 8:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    If you lived in Milford, the routine would be the same. There are people who take the train from Milford to New York City. It takes them two hours to reach their destination...and two hours to return. They develop a system to use those four hours...some play cards, some sleep, some read. I think commuting is a big waste of time. Gardenbug

     
  • At 11:15 PM, Blogger Karen said…

    It is hard - I was just talking about this last night...how to avoid the weekday routine? It just ends up making me hate Sundays since I spend the day resisting Monday's arrival! So then I've lost a portion of my weekend to thinking about the week ahead! Gah!

     
Post a Comment



About Me
Name: Melanie O.
Home: Durham, North Carolina, United States
About Me: Female, American health and beauty-conscious professional who has rekindled a childhood love of dolls.
See my profile...

Another Retro Housewife
Wannabe
Brought to you by
Previous Posts
Archives
If you read this blog,
you're not alone!
Sydney Weather
    The WeatherPixie
Favorite Links

You are visitor number