The Secret Life of Melanie O.
 
Friday, November 03, 2006
The moment time stood still
A guy tried to pick me up on the street the other day as I was walking back to my office after lunch. He was fortyish, average height, with olive skin and curly hair.

He came up to me and looked as if he was going to ask me a question. I must look "helpful." Tourists frequently come up to me to ask directions. Little do they know I've only lived in Sydney for a few years. Half the time, I'm as lost as they are.

Imagine my surprise when he complimented me, in a heavily-accented English, on my hair. My hair really is nothing special. It's shorter than I like, and needs a really good conditioning treatment. Still, it was nice of him.

He asked me if I worked in the area and I casually pointed up the street, not wanting to give my work address away to a stranger.

He blushed for a while, probably surprised that I was friendly towards him. Many women I know would blow him off in a not so nice manner using not so nice words. I could tell he was a little embarrassed.

Shyly, he asked, "Are you married?"

Just like that.

I smiled, looked at the diamond ring on my left hand, and said that I was, but that I was flattered by his compliment to me. He smiled and then he disappeared into the crowd.

I wish I could thank that stranger. Getting older isn't always the greatest thing. Sure, you have more confidence, but you have less energy. You have more money, but you're less inclined to want to spend it. People respect you more, but people annoy you more.

For a moment, anyway, I was hit on by a "younger" man. For a moment, anyway, I remembered what it was like to be young and just starting out in life. For a moment, time stood still.
posted by Melanie O. at 4:17 PM -
3 Comments:
  • At 1:24 AM, Blogger gardenbug said…

    I like your hair in the photo. Remember when you were little...I kept it short and curly. ..bet it would look nice that way even today. Ditch the purse.

     
  • At 9:21 AM, Blogger Melanie O. said…

    I've come to realise over the years, that I'm not a short-haired person. It never feels right to me. I feel rather de-sexed with very short hair.

    The purse is hand-made from kimono silk - it was a birthday gift. I love it. (I modeled it for my friend's website.)

     
  • At 8:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Well of course he would try to pick you up. You're very cute with it short! And just as sexy with your hair longer. Just my opinion.

     
Post a Comment



About Me
Name: Melanie O.
Home: Durham, North Carolina, United States
About Me: Female, American health and beauty-conscious professional who has rekindled a childhood love of dolls.
See my profile...

Another Retro Housewife
Wannabe
Brought to you by
Previous Posts
Archives
If you read this blog,
you're not alone!
Sydney Weather
    The WeatherPixie
Favorite Links

You are visitor number