The Secret Life of Melanie O.
 
Thursday, December 14, 2006
Holiday Newsletter
"Dear Friends and Family,

In order to avoid writing 40 personalised messages in your Christmas cards this year, I am resorting to the time-honored tradition of composing the Holiday Newsletter.

D. is doing well at his job. His company is thinking of buying him a new truck. Of course, they have said this for the past two years, but good things come to those who wait. In the meantime, we manage his back pain with massages, hot baths, and lots of Advil. I tried Reiki on him once, but it almost caught the sheets on fire.

I celebrated a year with my company in November. Of course, I was celebrating by myself, as everyone seemed to have forgotten to mention this in the usual monthly announcements. I have managed, however, to finagle my way into working from home once we move back to the old house.

We have a fake tree this year. Since we're moving, there are boxes everywhere. Oh - and I decorated our weeping fig tree, which drooped over like the Charlie Brown Christmas special tree. I keep expecting to hear Vince Guaraldi music every time I walk into our front room.

We went back to the USA for the family reunion. It was the highlight of the year.

My sons seem to be doing OK, with the exception of A. He has probably blown his last opportunity for real help and support. I expect he will enjoy life as a beach bum somewhere. He was hospitalised for almost three weeks, had a bed waiting for him in the local shelter upon his release, and walked away from his social worker, family members, and mental health professionals.

Life is chaotic. Ho! Ho! Ho! Merry Happy Yule Near!

P.S. Please write soon."
posted by Melanie O. at 8:10 PM -
4 Comments:
  • At 11:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Do the decent thing; chuck it out and get a bike instead.

     
  • At 8:36 AM, Blogger Melanie O. said…

    nomad ... the truck, or the tree? ;-)

     
  • At 4:07 AM, Blogger gardenbug said…

    A very Merry Christmas to you and to Dan. I love hearing him talk. His accent is charming. The best way to heal a bad back is through exercise. Get out of the truck and stretch when He can. About the fig tree: Over time, the main stem will be stronger. You can prune it into a pyramind or another shape of your choosing. The fig is an excellent Christmas tree...so many branches to hold ornaments. I had one that was over 5 feet tall and I loved it. Then one day, I noticed sticky sap on the leaves. It had a batch of sucking insects. The tree got thrown out. Now I know that all I had to do to control insect damage was to wash it in insecticidal soap. When the tree got too big for the pot, I took it out of the pot and pruned off some of the roots..then pruned the top about the same percentage as the roots. Think Bonsai. Back into pot with fresh soil and it was good for another year...until aphids. I'll do better with my next fig tree.

     
  • At 7:53 AM, Blogger Melanie O. said…

    Our fig had little sucking insects, too - and I got rid of them, believe it or not, with rose dust. Worked a treat!

    MErry Christmas! xoxo

     
Post a Comment



About Me
Name: Melanie O.
Home: Durham, North Carolina, United States
About Me: Female, American health and beauty-conscious professional who has rekindled a childhood love of dolls.
See my profile...

Another Retro Housewife
Wannabe
Brought to you by
Previous Posts
Archives
If you read this blog,
you're not alone!
Sydney Weather
    The WeatherPixie
Favorite Links

You are visitor number