The Secret Life of Melanie O.
 
Tuesday, November 07, 2006
Something about the hat

I wore a hat to work the other day – not to be fashionable, but because it was raining. I find that wearing a hat on rainy days keeps my hair relatively under control. The hat was a black pinstriped Fedora, which I like to wear low over my eyes for that air of mystery. I imagine that I’m Lauren Bacall in an old gumshoe movie.

I’ve discovered that people look at you differently in a nice hat. Upon leaving the building in the afternoon with my hat on, a young woman complimented me on “my outfit.” It’s true, the black of the hat matched the black in the pattern of my dress. But it was purely unintentional. I thanked her and left the building with a smile and my Fedora perched jauntily on my head.

I took the hat off in the train on the way home, and half-clutched it in my hands. I was nodding off, when I heard the announcement for my stop. Quickly, I put the hat back on and tried to blink the fatigue from my eyes. I stumbled up the stairs and through the ticket gate.

On the way back to my car, a man approached me. He was a good looking man and had to be at least ten years younger than me, and he asked me if I wanted to go out for a drink. I wondered what had prompted him to come up to me, a complete stranger, and ask me out. He said that I just looked so beautiful and sexy. It must have been the hat.

I thanked him, directed him to an online dating service, told him I was happily married, and went on my way. I think I heard my hat give a light-hearted giggle. At the very least, it was grinning.
posted by Melanie O. at 11:08 AM -
5 Comments:
  • At 12:38 AM, Blogger gardenbug said…

    You have a nice sense of humor...in a public way. Should you be in show biz?

     
  • At 6:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm sure you looked lovely - hats are great. Hat hair when you take them off, though - not so great!

     
  • At 8:02 AM, Blogger Melanie O. said…

    hee hee! I'd love to be in "show biz," but I don't think "show biz" wants me!

     
  • At 10:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    sorry...you usually know me as irishnomad.

     
  • At 10:49 PM, Blogger Melanie O. said…

    Hi Nomad! Glad you could finally log in. Nice to see you!

     
Post a Comment



About Me
Name: Melanie O.
Home: Durham, North Carolina, United States
About Me: Female, American health and beauty-conscious professional who has rekindled a childhood love of dolls.
See my profile...

Another Retro Housewife
Wannabe
Brought to you by
Previous Posts
Archives
If you read this blog,
you're not alone!
Sydney Weather
    The WeatherPixie
Favorite Links

You are visitor number