The Secret Life of Melanie O.
 
Sunday, June 03, 2007
Handy Dan
The winter months are tough for men like Dan who depend on the import-export business. When it's slow at the wharves, it's slow in the container parks, and it's slow for the men who drive the trucks. We've struggled the past few weeks, trying to cover all of our bills and trying to get out and have a little fun, too, so that life isn't all work and no play.

In the past week, he only worked two days. This is the last straw for Dan, who has threatened to go into business for himself forever. This weekend, we put up several flyers advertising his handyman services. It reads like a '50's pulp magazine advertisement:

Handy Dan the Odd Jobs Man - followed by a caricature of a man with a big friendly grin - the kind of caricature they used to use to sell breath mints, shaving cream, or hair pomade.

I imagine lots of little old ladies calling at odd hours day and night. Once they meet Dan, I am sure that there will be lots of loose tiles and door hinges that will be repaired. The problem is, I'm not sure I'm willing to share him in this way. Who will finish our fly screens and who will finish the bracket for the air conditioner? Will I have to call Dan and make an appointment? And what will he expect in payment?

I wonder if meeting him at the door in lingerie will get me free service?
posted by Melanie O. at 4:59 PM -
3 Comments:
  • At 11:09 PM, Blogger gardenbug said…

    Stephen has the same problem when business is slow. He doesn't get the hours He needs to generate income. I am glad you're there to help Dan. ..don't think it will be slow in both your careers at the same time.
    When I was in college, I held down two jobs to pay my expenses. Boy! did I ever get tired doing schoolwork and working a job every minute waking hours. We do what We have to do.
    By the way, I could use a handyman around here. I know there is a big need for his services in every town. The nice thing is, Dan can schedule his time to suit himself. Best of luck.

     
  • At 1:36 AM, Blogger Kanani said…

    Wow. That even LOOKS like Dan.

    Well, it's hard to find a good handyman so I'll bet once he proves himself there'll be lots of people who call.

    Just make sure he keeps scrupulous records --who owes what, and discusses up front and gives them in writing an estimate.

    But GOOD LUCK! Glad to hear him doing this. It's a step in the right direction.

     
  • At 5:11 AM, Blogger Katie said…

    That's a great idea. Best of luck.

     
Post a Comment



About Me
Name: Melanie O.
Home: Durham, North Carolina, United States
About Me: Female, American health and beauty-conscious professional who has rekindled a childhood love of dolls.
See my profile...

Another Retro Housewife
Wannabe
Brought to you by
Previous Posts
Archives
If you read this blog,
you're not alone!
Sydney Weather
    The WeatherPixie
Favorite Links

You are visitor number