The Secret Life of Melanie O.
 
Sunday, May 13, 2007
Mother's Day
Today is Mother's Day, and I've only heard from one of my sons. To be fair, it's not Mother's Day in the USA quite yet. We're a good 14 hours ahead of the east coast, where they live. I don't know why it is, but sons seem to be much worse than daughters for remembering birthdays and acknowledging events.

I have a friend with three daughters and a son. Her three daughters contact her regularly. They sent her cards for Mother's Day. She isn't holding her breath for her son. Maybe we women put too much stock into these special days, but it seems to me that sons don't start remembering their mother's birthday or Mother's Day, until they get engaged or married or become middle aged.

I often wonder what my sons would do if I conveniently forgot to acknowledge their birthdays, or Christmas for that matter? Would they contact me and ask what's going on? Or would they do what they usually do when they don't get the expected - shrug it off. No matter what, I can't win. I didn't have daughters. I had sons. Most of the time, I wouldn't trade them for the world, but sometimes, I wish that they had been born with the Hallmark gene. The Hallmark gene has a time code that goes off on specified days of the year. The Hallmark gene draws them inextricably to card shops and compels them to pick up a pen and write a little note and buy a stamp and mail it.

I think that Dan has some of the Hallmark gene. He doesn't do cards, but he did serve me breakfast in bed this morning. I haven't had breakfast in bed for years and years. Maybe never! He even brought me a little rose from our garden.

I have to face facts. My sons do not have the Hallmark gene. But what they lack in the Hallmark gene, they make up for in intelligence, good looks and a sense of humour. I guess that will have to do.

Addendum: I heard from three of my sons - via email. What would we do without email since we're separated by distance? I suspect they don't plan far enough ahead to get a card out in time, but email is nice. Maybe they have the gene that governs digital Hallmark signals.

I called my mother and we spoke for an hour on the phone. I don't think she realised how much I appreciate her influence in my life. It was great to chat just about...stuff.

Happy Mother's Day to all the mums out there!
posted by Melanie O. at 6:44 PM -
8 Comments:
  • At 1:09 AM, Blogger gardenbug said…

    Your phone call was the best present. Happy Mother's Day.

     
  • At 8:16 AM, Blogger Melanie O. said…

    It was great being able to chat. :)

     
  • At 1:46 PM, Blogger Kanani said…

    Hey, Happy Mother's Day!

     
  • At 1:39 AM, Blogger YesterdaysLace said…

    I'm glad you could connect with your mom! Happy Mum's Day. :)

     
  • At 6:02 AM, Blogger Mabs said…

    dgThey're Digimarks :)

    I had great fun with my mum on Mothers Day. The three of us went to the Mothers Day Classic and then lunch which extended into dinner. Was a lovely day.

     
  • At 9:33 AM, Blogger Melanie O. said…

    tee hee! I like Digimarks!

    It turned out to be a good day. :)

     
  • At 4:38 AM, Blogger Mary Witzl said…

    Some time back, for various complicated reasons, we decided not to do Mother's or Father's day in our family. And we never have! We make up for this by going over-the-top on birthdays, however, and although I go insane over the Christmas period like other stressed-out moms, I still bake like a fiend, wrap presents, and struggle to get the cards out.

    I agree that the Hallmark gene is a good one to have, but I'm also a big fan of the bath-tub cleaning gene...

     
  • At 10:06 AM, Blogger Melanie O. said…

    LOL Mary! I am certifiably the ONLY family member with the bathtub cleaning gene. :)

     
Post a Comment



About Me
Name: Melanie O.
Home: Durham, North Carolina, United States
About Me: Female, American health and beauty-conscious professional who has rekindled a childhood love of dolls.
See my profile...

Another Retro Housewife
Wannabe
Brought to you by
Previous Posts
Archives
If you read this blog,
you're not alone!
Sydney Weather
    The WeatherPixie
Favorite Links

You are visitor number