The Secret Life of Melanie O.
 
Saturday, July 28, 2007
Lunch
Dan and I had to get our taxes done in the morning. Oh Joy. There's nothing in the world, except perhaps a trip to the dentist, that will fill one with more trepidation.

We got up early and drove to our accountant's office. It was a relatively painless procedure, during which we found out that we would be receiving quite a large sum of money each, in refunds. To celebrate, Dan decided that he would treat us to lunch at one of the pubs on the way home.

The pubs in Australia are much more similar to the pubs in England, than they are to the pubs in the United States. Many of them also have full service restaurants inside, as well as rooms to rent for the night. They're social hubs and I never feel weird about going inside an Australian pub. I can't say the same for the ones back home in the USA.

The menu at the pub we chose was quite varied. I ordered the daily roast, and Dan ordered a Thai curry. We happily chatted about what we were going to do with our tax refunds, and then we left to run the rest of our errands for the day.

Now, we have a small economy car that we drive, and quarters are fairly close, and when Dan and I started to drive off, I could smell a strong smell of curry.

Dan loves to talk, and the more he talked, the more I could smell the curry. I furiously started to fan the air in front on my nose, and Dan turned to me, bringing his face even closer to mine. "What's wrong?" he asked.

"It smells like curry in here," I told him. Not just any curry, used curry. Curry that's already been eaten and is starting to break down. I continued to fan my nose.

Fortunately, after a few more kilometres, we got out of the car again to run our errands, and Dan decided to buy a Coke. We were once again back inside the enclosed car. This time, the curry smell was worse. Dan was belching up Coke AND curry. It was like being inside someone's bowels. Not just any bowels - the bowels of someone who had just eaten spicy Thai curry and washed it down with a carbonated beverage.

I couldn't wait to get home and get out of the car. Even with the air on, I felt like I was suffocating.

Later that night, we watched The Lake House, and there was a scene on a bus. Sandra Bullock's character was talking out loud to herself, about getting to know her love interest better. The complete stranger sitting next to her figured she was talking to him, and got out a phial of breath spray and used it.

I watched with complete and total envy.

Labels: ,

posted by Melanie O. at 10:58 PM -
4 Comments:
  • At 10:29 AM, Blogger gardenbug said…

    Hi. Just to say that I was here.

     
  • At 11:48 AM, Blogger Kanani said…

    oh! Yuck!
    I have a friend with really bad breath. I think it's a nasal infection, really. Grr....

     
  • At 6:02 PM, Blogger Melanie O. said…

    Well, Dan doesn't have that excuse. I think he eats garlic and curry, and then drinks coffee or Coke, just to annoy me. ;-)

     
  • At 6:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    lol!

     
Post a Comment



About Me
Name: Melanie O.
Home: Durham, North Carolina, United States
About Me: Female, American health and beauty-conscious professional who has rekindled a childhood love of dolls.
See my profile...

Another Retro Housewife
Wannabe
Brought to you by
Previous Posts
Archives
If you read this blog,
you're not alone!
Sydney Weather
    The WeatherPixie
Favorite Links

You are visitor number