The Secret Life of Melanie O.
 
Tuesday, June 12, 2007
What's cooking?
I asked Dan the other day to get dinner ready, since I was working on a freelance job. We had steaks, potato wedges, and broccoli on the menu.

Now, it's well-known fact that Dan was a bachelor for many years before we got married. One would assume that he knows some of the rudiments of preparing a dinner that consists of more than reheated pizza, or noodle surprise.

Still, Dan consulted me every step of the way.

He asked, "What should I set the oven to?"

"Dan, there's only one setting for the oven," I answered, annoyed that my train of thought had been interrupted as I feverishly tried to finish a design before dinner.

And then, "What temperature should I put it at?"

"Dan, there's only one temperature that works." (Our fan forced oven only has one working heat element. Again, dropped train of thought.)

And then again, "What time should I put the wedges in?"

"Should I start the broccoli now?"

"I put the lid on the broccoli. Is that OK?"

And so forth. I wasn't getting my work done. I should have just made dinner, but I refused to cave in, because I know that this is Dan's method for getting me to do something he doesn't want to do: make himself look incompetent so that I'll just give up in exasperation and do it myself - which would have taken less time and energy.

We finally got up to the point where the wedges were almost done, the water was boiling for the broccoli, and Dan's additional creation - stewed tomato and onion, was sitting in a pot.
It was then that he came to me and said he was afraid to do the steaks because he was certain he'd ruin them and they would come out resembling something like masticated shoe leather.

To which I replied, "You're a GUY. GUYS know how to grill steaks. It's a primitive instinct."

His reply: "But that's on an OUTDOOR BBQ. This is an INDOOR grill."

Dan won. I finally gave in. I wound up cooking the steaks and serving dinner. Thankfully, he's good at washing pots.
posted by Melanie O. at 1:29 PM -
2 Comments:
  • At 1:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Well handled. Marriages have broken up over less.

     
  • At 8:46 AM, Blogger Melanie O. said…

    Bwa-ha-ha! Payback is getting him to clean the dirty griller. He doesn't seem to mind that, though. I'll have to think of something else.

     
Post a Comment



About Me
Name: Melanie O.
Home: Durham, North Carolina, United States
About Me: Female, American health and beauty-conscious professional who has rekindled a childhood love of dolls.
See my profile...

Another Retro Housewife
Wannabe
Brought to you by
Previous Posts
Archives
If you read this blog,
you're not alone!
Sydney Weather
    The WeatherPixie
Favorite Links

You are visitor number