The Secret Life of Melanie O.
 
Saturday, August 22, 2009
Ch-ch-ch-changes
There's nothing so sure in life as change, and over the past few months, this has become increasingly evident in my life. Perhaps it's the perspective of getting older that makes me perceive things in a compressed view.

In the past six months, couples have split up and moved on, people have moved away (and replacements haven't moved in), work has been restructured and people have been retrenched, and I even changed my hair colour.

I can understand the person who coined the phrase "Stop the world! I want to get off!" Like Ferris Bueller said, "life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around every once in a while, it's gonna pass you by." Problem is, I think most people get to a certain age, and they just don't want to play that game any more. It's taken me decades to get my life to where it is. I'd like it to just stay this way for a while. Trouble is - you stay the way you are for too long, and you become a dinosaur.

I suppose this makes change a good thing, and it's also responsible for that thing we call Nostalgia. If things never changed, there'd be no nostalgia. So, in honour of change and nostalgia, here's a list of things I really miss, due to Change:

  • Metal ice cube trays. They never cracked or leaked and you never had to tip the water down the tray to fill up all of the little cubes. The water also froze a lot faster in the metal trays.
  • Sunday morning with my friends watching the Sunday Monster Movie Matinee. There was nothing better than watching Abbott and Costello meet the Mummy, or the original Frankenstein with Boris Karloff. Every once in a while, there'd be a Shirley Temple movie. My favourite was The Bluebird. Do girls even watch Shirley Temple movies now, or are they all hooked on Hannah Montana?
  • Dangerous kids' toys, like my Thingmaker. Kids burned themselves on the hot plate, so it was taken off the market, sold, and re-issued. How about kids learning how not to touch the hot plate? Or how about parents supervising its use? Another great toy was my Easy Bake Oven. I'm glad that Hasbro still makes that.
  • Phone conversations. Remember calling your friends and chatting for ages on the phone? I can remember my mother yelling "get off the phone! I need to make a call." Nowadays, few people use the phone just to chat. Now, it's text messaging and email, or VOIP if you have it. Every time my phone rings, I know someone's trying to get me to donate to a charity. That's when it does ring - which is hardly ever.
  • Nice clothes. Nowadays, in order to get clothes cut for a woman's shape, you have to go high end designer brand. My mother used to take my sister and me to Sears or JC Penney. They had clothes for every kind of figure. Now, it's not profitable enough for manufacturers to offer so many sizing options. The sizes have all been made generic, which usually means that if it fits me in one place, it doesn't fit me in another. I'm going to go back to sewing my own things.
  • Time. I used to have more time. I could put my hair in rollers and not have to worry about catching the train into work at 6:30 am. Now, I don't do anything with my hair. No woman I know does, other than the basics. If it can't be styled with a certain cut, it gets pulled back into a pony tail. I could also spend over an hour making dinner if I wanted to. Now, if I can't make it in half that time, then we grab fast food.
  • Decent music. OK, now I know I sound like a real fuddy duddy, and I do like some new music, but most of it seems to be a complete rehash of the things I listened to in the '70's and '80's. Has the planet run out of talent? Maybe it has and I just missed the memo.
  • Pastels. I recall little Mid-century Modern homes with turquoise trims and wall colour, or peach and lemon. Cars came in pastel shades like coral, lemon, cream and turquoise. The world just looks so much more harsh without pastels.
  • Men in suits and a hat. I rarely see a man in a suit. In a button up shirt - sure. But a suit? Rarely. In a hat? Almost never. And pipes? Do men smoke pipes any more? I mean, beautiful burled wooden and clay ones that don't use water and burn flavoured tobacco and not that green stuff. I miss the smell of brandied tobacco burning slowly in a pipe.
  • Going out to see a movie. Last time Dan and I went to see a movie, all we bought at the concession stand was a bottle of water, and it cost us a total of $38. No wonder we rarely go.
Of course, there are good things about change. I travel more. My salary goes up. My kids are maturing and finding their niche in the world. However, it's pretty telling that one of today's most popular and acclaimed television shows is about life during the Kennedy years.

As for the future, it's still one big blank canvas. It's guaranteed to be full of ch-ch-ch-changes, however.

Labels: ,

posted by Melanie O. at 11:21 AM -
0 Comments:
Post a Comment



About Me
Name: Melanie O.
Home: Durham, North Carolina, United States
About Me: Female, American health and beauty-conscious professional who has rekindled a childhood love of dolls.
See my profile...

Another Retro Housewife
Wannabe
Brought to you by
Previous Posts
Archives
If you read this blog,
you're not alone!
Sydney Weather
    The WeatherPixie
Favorite Links

You are visitor number