The Secret Life of Melanie O.
 
Sunday, September 02, 2007
The (non)generation gap
It was Father's Day today in Australia, and I put on a lunch spread for my in-laws. Dan and I bought a couple of John Wayne DVDs, which we presented, along with a couple of other small gifts, and we spent a pleasant day with them. They're good company and always good for a bit of family gossip.

Dan had spent the morning outside, mowing the back yard (I've learned never to say that he was "cutting the grass,") and he came in, complaining of aches and pains. "I feel like an old man," he has said on numerous occasions, including this one.

I look at my father in law and think that Dan is a long ways away from being "an old man." My father in law is in his mid 70's and has a more active social life than Dan and I. He mows his own lawn with a petrol push mower (the lawn is on a hill) every week, as well as the church's lawn, and helps Dan with the lawn edging since Dan still hasn't quite got the knack of the Whipper-Snipper.

I raise my eyebrows when Dan says he's "feeling old." He's got a long way to go to catch up with his father, although we do share some age-related things. After lunch today, we watched an old Doris Day movie, and before that, we watched a John Wayne film. Despite generations, we all love these classics. Before that, Dan's mother and I discussed my vintage costume jewelry collection and how we both feel that style and quality has gone downhill over the past 50 years (since before I was born.) During the DVDs, she got out her knitting, and I watched, fascinated that she practically has the pattern memorised. I wish I knew how to knit correctly. Or crochet. Or even have the time to do such crafts.

I'm almost afraid of admitting these things, as I probably will get labelled a fuddy-duddy.

Generation gap? What's that?

Wanna hear the audio? Just click on the "play" arrow below:

Labels: ,

posted by Melanie O. at 6:54 PM -
2 Comments:
  • At 10:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Fuddy Duddys don't use the internet to blog. They write editorials to the editor of "newspapers!".

    You are too smart to ever be labelled such!

     
  • At 1:25 PM, Blogger Melanie O. said…

    LOL! My friends say they write to the Daily Mail or call in to radio talk shows.

     
Post a Comment



About Me
Name: Melanie O.
Home: Durham, North Carolina, United States
About Me: Female, American health and beauty-conscious professional who has rekindled a childhood love of dolls.
See my profile...

Another Retro Housewife
Wannabe
Brought to you by
Previous Posts
Archives
If you read this blog,
you're not alone!
Sydney Weather
    The WeatherPixie
Favorite Links

You are visitor number