The Secret Life of Melanie O.
 
Tuesday, October 02, 2007
A haunted doll...
Dolls have captured the imaginations of little girls the world over for centuries - possibly millennia. Every little girl I know (and some big ones as well,) has at least one doll to play with. This tale is about a doll that I own - a doll that I bought on the Cherokee reservation a year or so ago. I fell in love with her costume and the fact that my mother was given a similar Native American doll by my father a long time ago.

My doll doesn't have a name. I don't really play with her. She is just a kind of silent sentry in our house. She's not very big, but she is endearing and her eyes close if you lay her down. She sits on top of a narrow bookcase that used to be in our kitchen, but we have since moved her to the hallway, along with her entourage: a couple of musical snow globes, some English knights, some photos in frames and an oil burner.

I set her up so that she would face into the hallway so that I could see her beautiful little face as I walk by, but a couple of weeks ago, I noticed that she was facing the front door. I wondered who had turned her, but shrugged my shoulders and turned her back to face out into the hallway.

Last week, I noticed that she was facing the front door again. So, intrigued, I turned her back to face the hallway again - a full 90 degrees. I asked a few friends about it - did they think my doll was "haunted?" I got varying responses.

One woman said that the doll might have a cling-on, in other words, a spirit that likes the doll and wants to play with it. Another said that maybe 'someone' was trying to tell me something about the front door.

I listened to this last advice and checked the front door of the house. Sure enough - it was unlocked. I don't know how many days it had gone unlocked like that. But I locked the door after I discovered it.

I still don't know if there's anything to it - but it makes a good tale for the start of October. And just to be on the safe side, I announced that I was happy to share my little Native American doll - with whomever wanted to play with her.

Listen to the audio [7 MB]

Labels:

posted by Melanie O. at 3:39 PM -
3 Comments:
  • At 8:51 PM, Blogger gardenbug said…

    There is more to life than what We are aware of. If your doll looks at the front door, perhaps she just wants to see who is going through the door. Or, she could be watching out for you. In any event, your doll is your friend, no threat. On the other hand, perhaps people walking across the floor set up a little vibration. She jiggles a little and turns ...toward the from door.

     
  • At 10:07 AM, Blogger Melanie O. said…

    Well, whatever the reason, it put a little spice into my life for a couple of weeks. It's good to get the ol' imagination going every once in a while.

     
  • At 11:39 AM, Blogger Anthony said…

    My mother had quite a collection of dolls when I was a kid. She still has many of them to this day. I recall being perhaps a little frightened by some of their still, pale, porcelain faces with their big eyes staring at me. I wasn't really scared of them, I just thought they looked awkward. I also remember when we had the fire in my mom's room and some of her dolls were burnt. That made them even creepier. They looked akin to Chucky from the Child's Play movies!

     
Post a Comment



About Me
Name: Melanie O.
Home: Durham, North Carolina, United States
About Me: Female, American health and beauty-conscious professional who has rekindled a childhood love of dolls.
See my profile...

Another Retro Housewife
Wannabe
Brought to you by
Previous Posts
Archives
If you read this blog,
you're not alone!
Sydney Weather
    The WeatherPixie
Favorite Links

You are visitor number