The Secret Life of Melanie O.
 
Tuesday, April 13, 2010
How to explode an egg without a microwave
I have a one-track mind. I think this is how I got to be reasonably successful and is why I also keep surprising myself in not so pleasant ways. Growing up, my dad always told me I had a one track mind. I think he was right. You know how women are supposed to be such great multi-taskers? Well, I think I missed out on that gene.

This morning, I decided to make myself a hard boiled egg for the protein component of my breakfast. I imagined myself to be Julia Child as I put the egg in a pan of water and stirred it around so that the yolk would wind up in the middle of the white, and not down at one end of the egg. The water began to heat up as the egg swirled around.

And then I remembered that I needed to email my office. I'm home today with a cold. I needed to let them know I'd be working from home.

Of course, once on the computer, I completely forgot about my egg - that is, until about an hour later, when I could smell something cooking.

My egg! I had totally forgotten about it and all of the water had boiled out of the pan. Of course, this meant that the egg was now as tough as rubber and inedible. I ran into the kitchen  to save my pan from being destroyed, removed it from the burner and touched the bottom of it to the cold water that was sitting in my sink.

The cold water on the bottom of the pan touched off an explosion. Boom! The overly-heated hard boiled egg exploded all over my nice cashmere sweater. I had egg in my hair, and on my face, of course. I was no longer Julia Child. I was one of the guys from Myth Busters.

For breakfast, I wound up grabbing a cold chicken leg from the fridge. At least there is no way I can make that explode.... for now.

Labels: ,

posted by Melanie O. at 10:12 AM -
2 Comments:
  • At 3:26 AM, Blogger Geetali said…

    You may not be a multi-tasker, but you certainly are multi-talented! Maybe you should patent the egg-explosion technique: who knows, NASA may need it in the future!

     
  • At 8:17 PM, Blogger Cooks said…

    this made me chuckle :-)

     
Post a Comment



About Me
Name: Melanie O.
Home: Durham, North Carolina, United States
About Me: Female, American health and beauty-conscious professional who has rekindled a childhood love of dolls.
See my profile...

Another Retro Housewife
Wannabe
Brought to you by
Previous Posts
Archives
If you read this blog,
you're not alone!
Sydney Weather
    The WeatherPixie
Favorite Links

You are visitor number