The Secret Life of Melanie O.
 
Wednesday, September 20, 2006
The reunion, part IV
It's the day of the reunion. All of us, including my nephews, sister and brother in law, are in the kitchen, creating picnic salads: potato, pasta, garden, and fruit salad. The kitchen has become the Taj Mahal of salad-land. There are salads piled everywhere.

My brother in law, Don, has brought Hoffman's franks and coneys from Syracuse, NY. Hoffman's coneys are to die for. If I was a wealthy woman, I'd have them flown in every couple of months.


We are waiting for my son Ian to call. I'm getting frantic. They were supposed to arrive around noon. It's now a quarter past and I'm wondering what's happened. The phone rings. I jump to grab it. It's one of my mother's friends and he wants to chat for a half an hour! I'm pacing up and down the hallway, getting more agitated by the minute. Where's Ian? How come he hasn't called?
How will he be able to get through if the line's busy?

I beg my mother to get off the phone. Within two minutes of her hanging up, Ian calls. Whew! My blood pressure recedes like the red in a thermometer. Where are they? They should have made that left turn at Albuquerque. They're just outside Boston - way off the path. They're turning around and we'll meet them in New Haven where they'll turn in their rental car. They wind up paying for an extra day because they were 12 minutes late turning it in. B*st*rd rental place!

Once they arrive at my mother's, all is well. The franks, coneys and burgers are thrown on the grill. A few of my mother's friends show up to say hello. The sky becomes overcast.
It starts to rain, but Andy comes out from his self imposed bedroom asylum, and eats with us. I'm happy. My family is all here. All in the same place at the same time. It's been years since that happened!

(To be continued...)
posted by Melanie O. at 9:34 PM -
4 Comments:
  • At 10:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I read parts 1,2,3 and 4. Right on! Just as I remembered. Wish We could do this every other year, but travel is so expensive. Come back any time.

     
  • At 4:56 AM, Blogger Karen said…

    I was wondering where you'd gone. Welcome back.
    And thank you for sharing your stories. A family reunion for my family would be much less fun....we're just not that close and don't seem to enjoy each other as much as your family obviously does! Loved the part where you were singing and playing music together. How lovely!

     
  • At 8:06 AM, Blogger Melanie O. said…

    The rest of the visit is coming up - I just have to find time to write. Hopefully - by this weekend.

    I will have some great memories that I'll cherish forever.

     
  • At 11:09 AM, Blogger Mabs said…

    Thank you :) Was thinking of you while you were away and hoping it was going smoothly!

    *hugs* for you and Andy, must have been so hard coming home.

     
Post a Comment



About Me
Name: Melanie O.
Home: Durham, North Carolina, United States
About Me: Female, American health and beauty-conscious professional who has rekindled a childhood love of dolls.
See my profile...

Another Retro Housewife
Wannabe
Brought to you by
Previous Posts
Archives
If you read this blog,
you're not alone!
Sydney Weather
    The WeatherPixie
Favorite Links

You are visitor number