The Secret Life of Melanie O.
 
Wednesday, October 31, 2007
A Halloween ghost story
What's really great about this story that I'm about to relate, is that it is, for all intents and purposes, "true," to the best of my recollection, as it happened to me and my sons back in the late '80's. Looking back, I want to say we lived in a haunted house.

We (my husband at the time and I) bought our first house in a small central New York community, adjacent to a Native reservation. In fact, the community was built on what was well known to be "Indian land." The house was a Cape Cod style colonial with a large upstairs room and dormer windows. The heating was ancient as was the plumbing, but it was our first house, and we were excited to have purchased it.

The "happenings" began soon after we moved in. I often heard conversations occurring, which I sensed originated in the living room. I would hear them as I was waking up after working the night shift. The conversations were just barely audible and I couldn't make out any of the words - but I could sense emotions. It sounded like someone was angry. My first reaction was to be annoyed with my sons. They had the television on too loud and I got up to ask them to turn the TV down.

Imagine how I felt when I walked into an empty living room! My sons were out with their father and the house had been empty for hours. This happened on more than one occasion.

One night, two of my sons, who slept in the upstairs dormer, woke up simultaneously to see the broken arm of a rocking chair that their grandfather had made for them, moving up and down, as if someone was examining it. They then reported that they had seen a "mommy ghost and a baby ghost." It was the baby ghost who was playing with the arm of the chair.

When they told me about this the next day, I asked them why they didn't come down and get me, and they said that they had been too scared to get out of their beds. On subsequent days, I heard from my sons about people moving through the walls and waking them up. Then there was the oddest incident of all - the lightning.

I was in the living room with my kids and there was a cracker of a thunderstorm outside. The four of them were playing at the foot of the stairs when I called them to me. I don't know why I called them at that moment. I just knew I wanted them close to me. At that second, a streak of lightning shot in from the upstairs dormer window, travelled down the stairs at a slant, and then BOOM! It shot through the floor at the base of the stairs right where they had been playing. There was a huge reverberation of thunder in the house - ear splitting in fact, but no burn or anything left in the carpet.

I got deathly ill with pneumonia and pleurisy while living there. We left that house after living in it for only a couple of years. My husband and I split up and I wonder sometimes if it had anything to do with the ill-will that the house engendered.

To this day, I've not heard those "conversations" ever again.

Listen to the audio [9 MBs]:

Labels: ,

posted by Melanie O. at 1:34 PM -
3 Comments:
  • At 1:43 PM, Blogger Anthony said…

    Our family seems to be sensitive to the "paranormal," the "other-worldly." I think we have a strong psychic sense. I had similar experiences as a young child, hearing voices that seemed to come from nowhere, when no one was around. I still have that intuitive sense, that "extra-sensory perception." I think it is strongest as children, but as adults we tend to shut it out in favor of logic, and now we have to fight to hold onto it. I know that Stephen and Chris have it, too. My mom has told me some of her stories, as well. We all swear that my mom's house is (still) haunted, but I think it's just clogged with years of high energies due to tension and stress! That is quite haunting in its own right. Anyways, Happy Halloween!

     
  • At 3:25 PM, Blogger Irisrainbow said…

    I, too, live in a "haunted house. Only mine likes to take my stuff(most of my silverware) and break things. I have lived in my house since I was four and it has always been here. It used to walk on my bed, and once when I was a teenager, it "kissed" me. I have also seen it, once. After that, I asked God to keep it away from me, and that worked. It's still here but it doesn't bother me. When my best friend lived with me for six years, it would bother her. We finally had to put a bowl of sage in her bathroom, for her protection. It did keep on turning her bedroom light on during the night, (she slept with a mask on) however.

     
  • At 3:29 PM, Blogger Melanie O. said…

    That's really interesting, iris! Since I wrote this, I've heard from several people who have told me some really interesting stories. I don't know what to make of it - but I've got an open mind, that's for sure.

     
Post a Comment



About Me
Name: Melanie O.
Home: Durham, North Carolina, United States
About Me: Female, American health and beauty-conscious professional who has rekindled a childhood love of dolls.
See my profile...

Another Retro Housewife
Wannabe
Brought to you by
Previous Posts
Archives
If you read this blog,
you're not alone!
Sydney Weather
    The WeatherPixie
Favorite Links

You are visitor number